A bird's eye view
...or two...

I get up pretty early in the morning. Pop outside to let the ladies out and check what they need to be refilled on.
Then I go back inside, have my coffee and breakfast and spy on the ladies from the kitchen window from time to time.

My kitchen window is NOT why I titled this a bird's eye view.

Someone else had that view.

The majority of flock was gathered under the pear tree. Not their usual favorite place.
Then I see a lower branch move. I'm pissed...the squirrels have been nosing around the coop/run again. So I run outside...
20210516_070718.jpg

Only to see Meatbird is in the tree!

But wait...there is more!

I also see another adventurer:
20210516_070737.jpg

These girls are getting a bit too brave and daring for my preference.

Another off-topic post... but the chickens will benefit later this summer. :)

Yesterday I did a little more in the garden... I got my last two tomato plants in, which I had hardened off throughout the week. I tried something new to keep them warm last night... I overturned a plastic tub over each of the newbies AND put 32oz mason jars of hot kettle water under the tub with them. They look pretty happy this morning!

I also put in a bunch of lettuce and kale. Once the weather warms, it will be hard to keep the lettuce from bolting, but it will be fun while it lasts and I hope the tomatoes get huge and shade them. And my chickens love kale, so...

2 days friends, 2 days of momma hen back to laying and laying in a normal nest box before she started trying to hide her eggs again. I found her while getting hay for the horses this morning, back in her hidden nest that was left un touched after she hatched out Squirrel and her brother. I will NOT let her sit this time and she's going to hate me. But raising her last two took a toll on her, I do not like her weight. She needs to eat and take care of herself for a while and not be giving everything to her chicks. Holly on the other hand, is going to love me, my neighbor up the road asked me if I would use my incubator and test out her silkie's eggs fertility for her. The incubator is cleaned and stored but I have 8 eggs coming and will set Holly this afternoon. I'll also let her have one of her own eggs which I know have been fertile so at least if the silkie eggs are dud's she should hatch something. I hate for a hen to put in all that work and get no reward. Plan c is if she sits and nothing hatches, found out tractor supply only has a 3 chick minimum so will pick her up 3 and let her raise them and then rehome once she's done.
Good luck for successful hatching to Holly! Sounds like you've got it planned out nicely

A bird's eye view
...or two...

I get up pretty early in the morning. Pop outside to let the ladies out and check what they need to be refilled on.
Then I go back inside, have my coffee and breakfast and spy on the ladies from the kitchen window from time to time.

My kitchen window is NOT why I titled this a bird's eye view.

Someone else had that view.

The majority of flock was gathered under the pear tree. Not their usual favorite place.
Then I see a lower branch move. I'm pissed...the squirrels have been nosing around the coop/run again. So I run outside...View attachment 2672303
Only to see Meatbird is in the tree!

But wait...there is more!

I also see another adventurer:View attachment 2672302

These girls are getting a bit too brave and daring for my preference.
Oh, but they are doing natural chicken things! I love it!!!

Another off-topic post... but the chickens will benefit later this summer. :)

Yesterday I did a little more in the garden... I got my last two tomato plants in, which I had hardened off throughout the week. I tried something new to keep them warm last night... I overturned a plastic tub over each of the newbies AND put 32oz mason jars of hot kettle water under the tub with them. They look pretty happy this morning!

I also put in a bunch of lettuce and kale. Once the weather warms, it will be hard to keep the lettuce from bolting, but it will be fun while it lasts and I hope the tomatoes get huge and shade them. And my chickens love kale, so...
You are way more serious about gardening than me! :gig we kinda throw stuff in the beds under 6 inches if leaf mulch and see what sticks

I really want to go sit with the girls and my coffee. But yesterday when they were adventuring up the hill behind the house, they found a wonderful new dustbath area that had lots of poison oak sprouts in it. While i had Poison Oak Forest behind the garage taken away earlier this year, some of the tree work is letting sun in and poison oak is sprouting up in new places.

Again, my phone (with videos) is in the bedroom with sleeping hubby, but I will load some later of them frolicking in poison oak, especially Minnie and Dorothy. Oh, dear.

You are way more serious about gardening than me! :gig we kinda throw stuff in the beds under 6 inches if leaf mulch and see what sticks
Oh! AND I killed a couple when I did not harden them off properly, so I'm extra paranoid. That's when we had the cold snap with frost followed by a heat wave. I had to toss a couple, because their stems rotted. I still have three on the front step I'm trying to save. I don't need them, but it's fun to learn. If they come around, I'll give them away. I know lots of people who like to grow tomatoes. :)

Back
Top Bottom