Ok, brains trust, I am thinking ahead to winter. We have had a few wet days so far this autumn and with our run not being covered I am thinking of solutions to the slushy cesspool potential of the ground before it happens.
I was originally thinking of a tarp over most of the top but I don’t think i will get it tight enough so the rain water will pool and won’t be a solution at all.
So I guess my question is what do you think will work as a ground cover in the run that will not get slushy but will not be too harsh on the girls soft beautiful feet? I think bark chips may present a problem but any opinions will be taken on board 😁
Thank you in advance 😊

Edited to add these pics, 2 things I found at my supply place that could work. Not as harsh as wood chips I don’t think but may provide a healthy cover and drain enough through to the soil but not allow it to be muddy ground if it is a thick enough covering 🤷🏻‍♀️
9D092F7B-B8F8-4BA3-B76F-2BE1678DE3C8.jpeg

C6DC6734-F711-48F0-AA07-45C019CE2D1F.jpeg

Last edited:
Ok, brains trust, I am thinking ahead to winter. We have had a few wet days so far this autumn and with our run not being covered I am thinking of solutions to the slushy cesspool potential of the ground before it happens.
I was originally thinking of a tarp over most of the top but I don’t think i will get it tight enough so the rain water will pool and won’t be a solution at all.
So I guess my question is what do you think will work as a ground cover in the run that will not get slushy but will not be too harsh on the girls soft beautiful feet? I think bark chips may present a problem but any opinions will be taken on board 😁
Thank you in advance 😊

Edited to add these pics, 2 things I found at my supply place that could work. Not as harsh as wood chips I don’t think but may provide a healthy cover and drain enough through to the soil but not allow it to be muddy ground if it is a thick enough covering 🤷🏻‍♀️
View attachment 2675840
View attachment 2675841
Can you add something on top of the run? For a temporary solution? If so, I found plain wood chips worked best for my little madame's. I added this thick plastic on the ground it was a wrapping for something I'd bought. Then I laid cardboard on top of this plastic before adding the chips and i keep changing the wood chips and cardboard. It works a treat.

Stop, it sounds delicious!! And I don’t have it to go in my belly haha
I’m a pretty good cook when I need to be. But I give all the credit to my hen Beetov-Hen (she taught me how to manipulate foods) she’s a very smart Leghorn. She can perform automobile maintenance too. She helped me pull and replace the transmission in my Lexus, years ago! (Some chickens, we just can’t live without) :cool: C02C44FA-0854-4D04-A708-5937DBFB8278.jpeg

Thank you in advance 😊

View attachment 2675840
View attachment 2675841
Get pallets, to raise a platform for the chooks. Let the water drain out off the property naturally. Bark or anything dead just won’t work. I have tried.

Back
Top Bottom