@Kris5902 so sorry for your poor hen! I would give her a chance and not cull unless she really can't cope. Bob's recommendation sounds good and I agree, I also think that a tractor that is moved just once in a while would work too - because she locates the feeder & waterer likely by the sound of others at it and then feeling for it. So if it's full and she doesn't have to find individual specks or pellets that will work. I am more concerned about getting on and off the roost. A ramp up and down to a perch maybe?
She does not have to roost but she will want to. I've seen lots of stories of blind chickens that have a close friend that have lived pretty good lives.

What would be sources of calcium while foraging do you think? Mouse, frog and snake bones maybe? But most bugs I don’t think have calcium in their exoskeletons.
:confused:
Grass is almost a complete food for chickens. Not to mention all the weeds.

Dandelions for example are super high in calcium. Dandelion greens are also an excellent source of vitamins A, C and K. They also contain vitamin E, folate and small amounts of other B vitamins along with iron, magnesium, and potassium.

I only know this about dandelions because humans eat them. 😁 But it is pretty well known that grass is nearly a complete food for chickens.

Not sure if it is affecting everyone, but You Tube now has a beta “shorts” program running and it was being applied to many of my shorter videos, and it’s incompatible with the media embedding in BYC... I’m not very tech savvy, I just know it annoyed the heck out of me and you may want to make sure a video is “long” to avoid having it posted under the shorts beta if you upload to you tube. I tried uploading it several times.
I find that the "shorts" only happens if I use a phone. If I use my tablet or computer it works fine. I agree it is surely annoying.

I don't know if she roosted or went to a nest box, but Rosie was still up at 8pm, latest yet 🤞
View attachment 2714999
Aurora does not go to bed until it is almost too dark to roost. Phyllis goes to bed while the sun is still up. She needs her alone time.

Grass is almost a complete food for chickens. Not to mention all the weeds.

Dandelions for example are super high in calcium. Dandelion greens are also an excellent source of vitamins A, C and K. They also contain vitamin E, folate and small amounts of other B vitamins along with iron, magnesium, and potassium.

I only know this about dandelions because humans eat them. 😁 But it is pretty well known that grass is nearly a complete food for chickens.
I had no idea.

Back
Top Bottom