I do have to change my diet somewhat, but it's a relief, that I'm not in the "Stroke" danger (Hypertension level) :)
That is very good news indeed. You had me very concerned.

Chicken tax
20210606_190749.jpg

I don’t have any experience with medicated feed, and haven’t really looked into it, as it’s not available here unless you have an industrial poultry barn, basically. But that would make sense as to why it’s an “either or” situation. If they are coming in with heavy Coccidia loads though I would just do a full on treatment cycle on arrival, then proceed as normal. If they arrive with Coccidiosis I don’t see how adding more Coccidia in using the medicated feed would help much, even if a “safer” strain.
When I buy feed it is going to last a while. So dosing their water and then continuing them on medicated feed is realistic for me. Yes it contradicts itself early on but as soon as they are off the medication I place the non-pathogenic in their system so they can resist any additional intrusion.

If all you have is a couple of chicks then your bag of feed is going to last longer than the dose of medication in the water. This way you are not throwing away feed or creating an opening for something bad to happen. I actually like the overlap.

This is how I have done it in the past.

Additional research into Medicated feed in the US has shown this to be incorrect. Please the following post:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...es-stories-of-our-flock.1286630/post-24593768

Last edited:
Nope 🙁 I didn’t find the body, but as a few people said, the culprit would be back. Unfortunately this time I think it may be the endangered spotted variety instead of the invasive species. Edit to add:No,it’s a Barred, and there is not just one, but two… and it also sounds like there are chicks 😐😐😐

Barney threw up the alarm at 8:50 pm and I turned off dinner, hung up on DH and rushed outside. Rightie one of my red rocks was the only free range girl still out and she was frozen still about five feet in front of Barney’s tractor. Barney and girls are going nuts, I made a grab for Rightie and missed and she was off like a shot, and sheltered between the fence and our windows. I spent ten minutes trying to lure her out and about another ten throwing rocks at the owl after I ran out of nerf ammo. I lured her out into the bad rooster box with a broken egg, secured her and put her up for the night. No losses tonight, but I will be on guard until I know the Bad Big Bird has moved on. Good news, if it is the endangered kind, they are actually nocturnal so at least I won’t have to worry about afternoon attacks.

RIP little dude, I’m sure you were tasty.
At least you know now. Hopefully they will stick to night hunting soon.

I believe this all to be accurate. However, once there is an outbreak, medicated feed is not enough; it’s more of a preventative.
It is only a preventative. Much like the normal bacteria in your intestine keeps C diff from causing an infection, the non-pathogenic coccidia keeps the disease causing coccidia from establishing themselves. Once disease has occurred you have to treat with medication. The feed will do no good.

Further research into medicated feed in the United States shows this to not be correct. Please see the following post

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...es-stories-of-our-flock.1286630/post-24593768

Last edited:
Naenae update

She seems much better now!
Realized I didn't take a pic of the pink pop yesterday...this is it (after dryng)

After she perched last night, I checked on her before I went to bed and saw this:
View attachment 2720717
My poor girl had a no-shell egg bothering her. The regular poo next to it happened overnight after the egg was expelled.

Hubby put her outside with her sisters and she has been feasting at the feeder.

I am so glad she is feeling better and we caught it. It was heartbreaking to see her tail droopy. Her tail is high and proud this morning 😊
Thanks for the good news!

That is exactly what I do with my soft shelled eggs. I've seen them the first 2 months of laying, maybe 3. Anyone else?
We are not even 1 full month into laying yet, but yes, have definitely had soft shelled eggs (not even counting Naenae's experience yesterday).

I have a silly question about soft shell eggs... is the exterior color always a light brown if the layer otherwise produces non-white eggs?
So far, ours have been similar light brown color despite having girls that lay a variety of shades and colors. My non-experienced and very layman hypothesis is the outer shell layer is formed last and the soft shell eggs simply didn't form that outer most layer and the "inner shell" looks the same across my birds. 🤷‍♀️

Back
Top Bottom