It's a shame because some that worked in your field actually went in to actually care for people. I'm guessing and hoping that you were one of the mentioned. As he said only chickens I'd think if him as a complete waste in our human life
I went in, my ideology was an attempt to save the world. When I retired (with pension) I barely saved myself! Wanna see my knife scars and bullet wounds? (I didn’t think so)!! Best I get now is a scratch and peck!

I went in, my ideology was an attempt to save the world. When I retired (with pension) I barely saved myself! Wanna see my knife scars and bullet wounds? (I didn’t think so)!! Best I get now is a scratch and peck!
Sorry about the wounds. Life has certainly gone down the drain over god knows how many decades. :(

I get get scratched the only pack I get is when there's a grab for food

Phyllis Enters her Nest

I had the chance to observe Phyllis utilizing her planter nest the other day. The video below shows the final 2 minutes plus of her entering the nest.

she spent almost 7 minutes verifying that it was safe before she went in. She patrolled the deck and surrounding area during those 7 minutes. @Shadrach is that a typical period of time?

I don't know if this will upset Phyllis or make her happy. I'm thinking of putting some copies straw for nesting material in her planter Nest. All of the eggs come out covered in potting soil and I'd like to"clean them up". Does anyone have an opinion on that?
That seems like a normal time to me. It has depended a lot on the hens personailty in my experience. Some like Ruffles for example went straight to the nest box without nay checking, but she usually laid in coops and that probably maked a difference.
Donk and Knock (mother and daughter) are both avid nest and coop checkers. Donk will walk around the coop before roosting at least once and when going to lay in an outside nest, gets close to the nest site, has a check, wanders off for a bit and comes back to do it all again.

Diana produced this.

Looks pretty good to me. I let her out to play in the chicken yard. She seems perky though hasn’t produced another poop yet.

Meanwhile, while she was in the hospital ward someone else - Elizabeth I think - produced a shelled but very thinly shelled egg that got broken all over the roadrunners eggs.
And Maggie has been in the nest box on two consecutive days but not laid an egg.

Sigh. Calcium supplements for everyone!
Are the urates really that yellow or is it the picture?
Consistancy is good but the colour is worrying.

Naenae update

She laid (edited to say laid...originally said "passed" and don't want to scare anyone!) a soft shell egg last night. Full sized, just soft. We thought she would be ready to rejoin the others this morning.
Unfortunately, Naenae was still off this morning. Hubby put her outside before checking with me. I brought her back in bc she hadn't pooped in the "hospital" overnight. Good thing I did too - the other birds were curious about her backside and wanted to peck her 🥺
So bath time again.
Gave her fresh yogurt and feed mix and she ate a little. Had to get to my day job (yeah, the one that pays the chicken bills). Checked in on her about 90 minutes later and still no poo.
I wore gloves and lubricated a finger to determine what was going on with this poor girl. I could feel the egg. She expressed some watery poo.
I had adjusted the hospital to be darker in hopes it would prevent her internal clock from producing more eggs and to also feel more like a nesting box.
She used the bedding mat I put in, made a nest and sat.
About an hour later she had a hard shell egg under her. Wrinkly, but a full shell.

She still wasn't pooping, so I gave her an Epsom salt bath and wrapped her in a towel and held her while I wrote up contracts.
She was getting fidgety and crying for her sisters.
Took her outside and let her explore in front of the chicken yard. Her sisters were VERY jealous.
Naenae was feeling much better and scratched at the ground and ate at least FOUR worms.
She pooped 2x too!
So I put her back with the others and her tail is high and she is happy and running around and took a long dust bath too.

I'm telling you...I don't know if my heart can take all this! I've been crying off and on for these past 36 hours with literal tears because I'm trying my best to make sure she is healthy. And I didn't know if she would be past a 24 hour mark of feeling poorly.

Last edited:
I was given a special treat today. Jaffar decided that I missed him and realized that I felt slighted, so he let me take him away from all his ladies, just to be with me for a while. ( I feel honored) :D :love 9C01E290-21F5-47B4-9668-20E79CFBB773.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom