Correct me if I'm wrong but I beleive you live in the UK.
Excessive temperatures are not something we (I'm in the UK now) suffer from.

I'm begining forget what the sun looks like!
Are you in the same UK. Last year was excessively hot and it's pretty airless and stuffy today. I suppose compared to Spain this is nothing to you.

By the way it's good to see you again :)

Just about any medication can be given by crushing the pill in the case of solids, emptying a capsule, or adding liquid drops to make a solution of sorts.
A liquid vitamin supplement is what I've used usually.

You only need a few drops, enough to ensure that the medication/additive can be made into a paste.

An eggcup makes a good container to mix in.

Once you have a paste you can soak it/wipe it up with small pieces of bread, or even push it into a grape.

I try this method as a fist stop solution. Most of the time it works. If not, then the options range from forcing the beak open and firing the pill down the throat to tube feeding. Plenty of article on BYC about tube feeding.
I have had great success with tube feeding medicine to chickens. I start by wrapping the chicken up like a mummy in a big towel so they are immobile. I use a skinny syringe for liquid. It also serves to poke the pill down into the crop. I learned this skill from an article on BYC.

It is terrible especially when one considers that 108 degrees is just over 42 centigrade which is only one degree above a chickens core body temperature.
If one lives in a region that reaches such temperatures, then if your chickens are dying from the heat I would suggest that not enough care has been taken to ensure they have suitable adequate shade.
It's no good blaming the weather; it's the fault of the keeper.

Just saying.:rant:oops:
It’s true. They need shade and water!

Not always, personally speaking I'm doing everything possible too keep my girls cool. I have four shady covers for them and another being built.
I can't arrange electricity in position of my garden which is daunting. But I go about all day taking out cool water and various cold fruit. In the winter I add warmed pads underneath their straw.
I think you are doing okay. It sounds like the guy with the dead chickens had them in an area where the heat was beating down relentlessly and his coop was an oven. It sounds like he didn’t provide them with shady spots, and I wouldn’t be surprised if they didn’t have enough water.
My ladies drink a lot of water on hot days, and I make sure they have access to water in several places.

My night flight was perfect! Navigation system was right on! Air quality and down draft was minimal. I felt like I was driving a Rolls Royce (no sound, no turbulence) so..... without further adooooo good morning friends. It’s two for Tuesday here in the USA.View attachment 2729511
My night flight was perfect! Navigation system was right on! Air quality and down draft was minimal. I felt like I was driving a Rolls Royce (no sound, no turbulence) so..... without further adooooo good morning friends. It’s two for Tuesday here in the USA.View attachment 2729511
I am happy to hear you had a lovely flight.

It is terrible especially when one considers that 108 degrees is just over 42 centigrade which is only one degree above a chickens core body temperature.
If one lives in a region that reaches such temperatures, then if your chickens are dying from the heat I would suggest that not enough care has been taken to ensure they have suitable adequate shade.
It's no good blaming the weather; it's the fault of the keeper.

Just saying.:rant:oops:
I agree with you. This is on the keeper. Just awful. No sense at all. It should be criminal for this to happen.

Back
Top Bottom