I'm sorry, Rebecca. People round here refer to them as hawk bait as they aren't the most predator savvy. Perhaps because of the mop on top. She may yet turn up. She may have just got a bit lost.
I've looked all over for her today, and she's just gone without a trace. I do have hawks so it's a possibility. There is also another possibility that I have to consider, even with all the rain we had last week, it's very dry here, and the creek is low. We killed a huge copperhead this afternoon near the creek. Considering it was one of my smaller silkies that is missing, a big snake easily could have gotten her or any of the smaller chicks that momma hen has. In a way, I'm leaning toward snake instead of hawk attack. What ever happened, it didn't phase any of my other chickens. I would think at least with a hawk attack at least some of my flock members would be visibly upset.

Yin and yang.

0E22D904-09A4-410A-8685-6CEDE25A1A99.jpeg

How much and often to syringe feed is beyond my knowledge. Maybe @micstrachan can help. I think you will need to keep doing so until she gets over whatever is happening. Can you help Michelle?

If her crop is emptying then she should be digesting. The poo being so loose may be from not getting enough feed or something else going on in the digestive tract. I can't judge which it might be.

I'm going to be out most of today but will check in when I can. :hugs :hugs
I agree, she is digesting. I would consider tube feeding. Can you get a large (like 60cc) syringe and tubing? Aquarium tubing will work, but you need to smooth the edges by melting with a flame. Is she well hydrated? As far as you know?

Can you pull her aside for private treat feedings? I’ve had to get creative with treats, as they can be super picky when not feeling well. Some suggestions to try:

• Live bugs (worms from the garden or meal worms or crickets from the the store)
• Wet feed (you can run it through a blender for tubing, if it comes to that)
• Egg in any form (scrambled, boiled, raw)
• Cooked meat or liver
• Seeds (mine go crazy for shelled, raw sunflower seeds)
• Cooked brown rice
• Sprouted or cooked wheat berries
• Canned corn
• Fruit (watermelon, berries, etc)
• Sprouts
• Canned fish
• Shredded squash
• Chopped kale
• Tomatoes

I would try the high calorie, high protein foods first, but when desperate, I’d let her eat anything at all that she wants. Just get some calories into her. Keep offering a variety of foods until you find something she loves.

If you want to tube, I can walk you through it. Another option is to syringe feed in small increments so she swallows on her own. I can walk you through that, too.

Edited to add: I forgot to mention, if you are providing canned items, try to find unsalted. If it’s salted, rinse it. Also, water spiked with a small amount of sugar can give a quick boost.

Last edited:
How much and often to syringe feed is beyond my knowledge. Maybe @micstrachan can help. I think you will need to keep doing so until she gets over whatever is happening. Can you help Michelle?

If her crop is emptying then she should be digesting. The poo being so loose may be from not getting enough feed or something else going on in the digestive tract. I can't judge which it might be.

I'm going to be out most of today but will check in when I can. :hugs :hugs
Oh! So syringe feeding is already happening? How old is this bird and how much does she weigh?

When I had a 7-pound hen (Ruby, years ago), who needed more calories, I was trying to do 3x20-mL supplemental feedings daily. For each 10mL, I had 1 heaping tsp baby bird formula, 1/4 tsp honey, 1/4 tsp coconut oil and a couple drops of nutridrench, all mixed with warm water.

When I tubed Ester, I was trying to do 25-55mL every few hours. This was a soupier feed, since I had to get it through s tube.

Last edited:
I can speak several different languages, but doing it with an Aussie accent just isn’t possible. Australian is just too finite a language to master, (for a Californian) :lau But, I will keep watching reruns of crocodile Dundee , in hopes of getting it right someday. God save the Queen!
Which languages?

Back
Top Bottom