A Treat and a Dustbath

Phyllis got something nice when I took her off of the nest last evening.

You saw when she was eating the treat and she sort of did a little backup with her head down? I’ve been wondering about this.. Claudine does it so much she will walk backwards a good ways... like she’ll take about 7 or 8 steps back and lower her head from side to side... kinda weaving it!
I was wondering what this was and have come to the conclusion that it’s a habit that they form from being pecked so much by others🤷🏼‍♀️... am I way off and if so.. does anyone know what this is? I was wondering if it were a neurological issue but since I just saw Phyllis do it too then I might be right... 🤔

I have soooo much to catch up on...

I got a text from the neighbor...
View attachment 2777069
Vickie's days of free ranging are numbered.
Yup, I definitely know how you feel. Biggie, my California White (some people describe this breed of chickens 'flighty') loves to take rode trips on her own. In fact, she laid her first two eggs under my neighbor's house (there's a big gap). She flew over so many times I don't remember the exact number. What's even worst, she started bring the whole flock over. So many sorries to my neighbor.

Yup, I definitely know how you feel. Biggie, my California White (some people describe this breed of chickens 'flighty') loves to take rode trips on her own. In fact, she laid her first two eggs under my neighbor's house (there's a big gap). She flew over so many times I don't remember the exact number. What's even worst, she started bring the whole flock over. So many sorries to my neighbor.

I'm laughing because Vickie is exactly that, a California White!!

Well, shoot. Not only is Ruby in really bad shape, but I think I am losing Dorothy, too. I’m not sure if she’s egg bound or has an infection, but she was in bad shape this morning and I just called the house. My son said she’s not doing well. I have an out of town retreat for work the next two days, so I’m not really going to be able to help her. My poor babies.
Oh no. That's not good. Maybe it's just a softshell and Dorothy will perk up after she lays it. :hugs :hugs

:hugs:hugsWell, shoot. Not only is Ruby in really bad shape, but I think I am losing Dorothy, too. I’m not sure if she’s egg bound or has an infection, but she was in bad shape this morning and I just called the house. My son said she’s not doing well. I have an out of town retreat for work the next two days, so I’m not really going to be able to help her. My poor babies.
I'm praying for them.

I suppose not going on the retreat is out of the question?

We used to do retreats but trashed them when everyone realised how much it cost in terms of people's private lives, families etc.
Good for you. I'm glad you stopped them.

Back
Top Bottom