I did the right thing!

Hi folks. I still can't catch up right now, as I'm still working and it's DH's birthday, but wanted to pop in to let you know I stopped by the house on the way back to the office and found Ruby sitting in front of her water coop cup drinking from it. :love

I let her out and offered sunflower seeds, baby bird formula and tunafish. She ate some of each. She walked around the kitchen just a little. I cleaned up her feathers a bit with baby wipes, but she needs a proper butt bath this weekend (should not be a problem, as it's hot). She still seems a bit dazed, tired quickly and sat down, and then stood up and put herself back in the carrier. However, overall, she was much better than when I left her and was not so unsteady on her feet (tired, but not falling over). I think tubing fluids helped! I'm so glad. Miss Ruby has a long way to go, but I think she still has a chance, and we all know what a fighter she is.

I think we are celebrating DH tomorrow, not today, so I hope to be able to the girls out a little after work when it's not so hot, including Ruby, and see how she does. I think it will lift her spirits to see her friends and feel the grass beneath her feet.

Since I was unable to ship Dorothy's body off to UC Davis for necropsy, I will give her a proper burial this weekend. She's been in a cooler in the garage, but I'm sure it went warm by the end of yesterday.

Thank you for all your support!
Yay RUBY! :wee:celebrateHang in there, you strong hen!:hugs
Rest In Peace Dorothy. :loveWe loved you.

Here is for Dorothy, and either way for everyone. AD4DED76-998E-48A2-BF40-59BE680D6E97.jpeg

The Time for Construction has Come

With Phyllis' chicks due to ship on Monday, it is time to begin coop construction. I need the coop (for which I still need a name) to be ready for either the chicks to grow in or for Phyllis to raise them in. Either way it has to be ready come Monday.

Pricing lumber is a sobering thing these days. With a 4x8 sheet of plywood going for about $40, this coop build is going to be WAY more expensive than the big coop. I started thinking of what I could recycle to create lumber and help lower the cost.

In my office for years has been an old entertainment center. I was able to disassemble it completely and come up with several good sized pieces of plywood not to mention some crown molding! Especially nice is the glass door which I will turn sideways and use as the primary entrance into the coop!
View attachment 2779243View attachment 2779244

Now I need to calculate the remanded of the lumber I need and head to the store.

Construction will begin tomorrow. 🔨🔨🔨🔨
How exciting! Can you post a picture of them when they're here? How many chicks did you order? Do you know all their breeds?

I did the right thing!

Hi folks. I still can't catch up right now, as I'm still working and it's DH's birthday, but wanted to pop in to let you know I stopped by the house on the way back to the office and found Ruby sitting in front of her water coop cup drinking from it. :love

I let her out and offered sunflower seeds, baby bird formula and tunafish. She ate some of each. She walked around the kitchen just a little. I cleaned up her feathers a bit with baby wipes, but she needs a proper butt bath this weekend (should not be a problem, as it's hot). She still seems a bit dazed, tired quickly and sat down, and then stood up and put herself back in the carrier. However, overall, she was much better than when I left her and was not so unsteady on her feet (tired, but not falling over). I think tubing fluids helped! I'm so glad. Miss Ruby has a long way to go, but I think she still has a chance, and we all know what a fighter she is.

I think we are celebrating DH tomorrow, not today, so I hope to be able to the girls out a little after work when it's not so hot, including Ruby, and see how she does. I think it will lift her spirits to see her friends and feel the grass beneath her feet.

Since I was unable to ship Dorothy's body off to UC Davis for necropsy, I will give her a proper burial this weekend. She's been in a cooler in the garage, but I'm sure it went warm by the end of yesterday.

Thank you for all your support!
That is excellent news on Ruby. 🥰

Back
Top Bottom