Finally, page 1000. Only 4400 to go! I know, I know. Jump to now, catch up later. nope. Trying to keep things in context. also, don't want to miss any of the deep chicken insights/behavior observations. However, just to tide you all over, new arrival last evening (found just after a rain squall). waiting on 5 more eggs 20210729_191323.jpg
Feed dishes were just added to keep mama on nest while the rest hatch....i hope. She went broody on an empty nest (cussed out the while flock when she got disturbed) and I had to get fertile eggs from a coworker.

That is excellent news on Ruby. 🥰
Thank you, Bob! I had planned to tube her a mix of water, gatorade and baby bird formula, but her crop wasn’t empty when I got home. I offered more baby bird formula and tuna and she ate a little of each (she has access to feed and water 24/7 right now, too.) Outside, she ate a few chicken forage blend sprouts and dry meal worms. She VERY SLOWLY walked around part of the yard and even preened a bit. It’s not great, but it is definitely improvement.

I brought her back in for bed. I don’t think being in the house is stressing her out and I can tube her later tonight if her crop empties. Minimally, I’d like to tube her each morning for awhile. I think if I’m going to commit to helping her gain strength, I’ll need to tube a lot of calories, or else she’s just going to wither away. Hopefully it’s not too late. She vocalized a little, which is great!

Can I just say that this is the second time I feel I definitely made the right choice by tubing and the little patient very likely would have died without it? I am very grateful to have this skill and would be very happy to walk anyone through it if they have a crisis and need to do it.

Here is Ruby sleeping in the kitchen.
CCBBFD99-C8FF-4DF9-9A66-78253AD5FF07.jpeg

Thank you, Bob! I had planned to tube her a mix of water, gatorade and baby bird formula, but her crop wasn’t empty when I got home. I offered more baby bird formula and tuna and she ate a little of each (she has access to feed and water 24/7 right now, too.) Outside, she ate a few chicken forage blend sprouts and dry meal worms. She VERY SLOWLY walked around part of the yard and even preened a bit. It’s not great, but it is definitely improvement.

I brought her back in for bed. I don’t think being in the house is stressing her out and I can tube her later tonight if her crop empties. Minimally, I’d like to tube her each morning for awhile. I think if I’m going to commit to helping her gain strength, I’ll need to tube a lot of calories, or else she’s just going to wither away. Hopefully it’s not too late. She vocalized a little, which is great!

Can I just say that this is the second time I feel I definitely made the right choice by tubing and the little patient very likely would have died without it? I am very grateful to have this skill and would be very happy to walk anyone through it if they have a crisis and need to do it.

Here is Ruby sleeping in the kitchen.
View attachment 2779898
Hi Ruby sweetheart.:frow

Shenandoah didn’t show up in the coop tonight. And I couldn’t catch the two littles. So there’s three of my feathered friends out in the night.:eek::hitI’m hoping that Shenandoah is nesting hidden somewhere. I can’t search anymore tonight.:he
Oh no, Alex! There is still some daylight left in CA. Can you scour the property and look for them? Or did you do that already?

Shenandoah didn’t show up in the coop tonight. And I couldn’t catch the two littles. So there’s three of my feathered friends out in the night.:eek::hitI’m hoping that Shenandoah is nesting hidden somewhere. I can’t search anymore tonight.:he
I checked the porch one more time. I found Arizona and Dakota on the porch railing just now. It’s hot 🥵 and I had my shirt off. I grabbed both of them and brought them back inside (where I promised myself I never would again) yes plenty of scratches on my chest and belly, but so what, they are safe! Shenandoah is missing in action :(.
Ps. Those two little redheads are going to be the death of me!!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom