True! I love the image the half-cow is bringing up! :gig... I'm afraid by us, even a bit of meat scrap in the garbage will bring a bear by in the night, besides coyotes and feral cats and the general raccoon / possums. We don't put anything out until the morning of pickup. Wouldn't one have vultures circling overhead by day?

The other thing is, could encouraging maggot flies to hang around the chickens increase the chances of flystrike?

I may worry too much, sorry.

Was it @Kris5902 who showed pictures of how she raised live mealworms or crickets or something in drawers? I like that idea better.
She did. She raised worms in drawers under her coffee table, which was an ingenious use of space.

I have excellent news!

I found a vet that has lots of chicken experience! He is to call me back tomorrow (wasn't in office, but reception chatted with me) to confirm if they do hormone therapy for my little over producer!

The bad news...

The soonest appt I can get is end of August bc he's in high demand.
I think that’s great news!!!

Looking at this pic again and the chicken wire, said to be a danger to chicks, you could pin up a small piece of sewn canvas along the bottom, easy to keep chicks heads out of it. Even a piece of cardboard or stiff plastic. Wouldn't have to deal with hardware cloth...
Excellent point!

Back
Top Bottom