Tight Rope Walking

I have started trying to get the littles to eat from my hand. They are of course terrified of the hand. Yesterday in order to get away Legertha decided to fly. Watch as they right tight rope walk their way around the brooder. They perched for quite some time and then flew back into the brooder.

Is it me, or doesn’t that one chick of yours, look a little bit like Donald Trump? (It’s the hair style) sorry :oops:

Mugshot the other day. 4801A9BE-633B-4B79-804E-BEC1691821DF.jpeg

So the roosters do not interfere then. Interesting. I would have expected them to defend any hatching lady. Propagation of the species and all.
When Mama hatched out Storm, Silver and Pear both came to investigate (separately). Mama fluffed up and growled but wouldn't peck at them. I shooed them off a bit when Mama was getting antsy. She was still on eggs. Rusty was patrolling outside the coop. Once Mama left the nest, she would warn off everyone. If Silver or Pear showed any interest or came closer, she gave ground and took Storm away. If the pullets showedany interest, they got PECKED/ chased. Rusty coming up was permitted, to a degree, but any tidbitting he did prompted a call for Storm to come eat the nice tasty good food. Pecking order was Silver, Pear, then Mama. Rusty was the only bird allowed in Storm's vicinity, but Mama was starting to allow more distance between Storm and herself. However, any of the rest of the tribe (thank you Shad) came between them and the distance closed in a hurry. How Mama handled it depended upon who it was ... consistently.
20210811_150712.jpg
"Mama, Honey, Sweetheart, Darling, come eat this is good"
"Baby, look here! DADDY found good food! Eat, eat! Must eat to grow strong feathers!"

U r funny. Poor Legertha. 😥
No offense, I love that cute little chick Legertha. I’m just jealous that you have a sunrise way before the sun clears my Rocky Mountains! I just let Arizona and Dakota out of the house, into the hazy sunlight of this, another beautiful day. Jaffar is crowing in the background

No offense, I love that cute little chick Legertha. I’m just jealous that you have a sunrise way before the sun clears my Rocky Mountains! I just let Arizona and Dakota out of the house, into the hazy sunlight of this, another beautiful day. Jaffar is crowing in the background
You kidding, I just went to the barn/coop. Jaffar was still on his perch crowing. I gave him a big hug, and rubbed his waddles (he likes that) said I love him, opened up the coop and run. Clear skies this morning, so I’m off to the airport to stretch my eagles wings! Yay!
Called my care taker about Chaco, she’s getting shoes today and I will be landing back before I meet with them at around 1:00pm pst. (Always care for the animals that God has blessed you with!) :D

Last edited:
Excellent that you got the grass out. She is your challenge hen for sure. I am glad she perked back up. How is she doing size wise? Is she catching up to the others?
You can still pick her out as the small one, but there is less size disparity. What I find really strange is how skinny they all are. I know they're still pullets, but they're almost thirteen weeks. I wonder what age they start to bulk up?

Last edited:
You kidding, I just went to the barn/coop. Jaffar was still on his perch crowing. I gave him a big hug, and rubbed his waddles (he likes that) said I love him, opened up the coop and run. Clear skies this morning, so I’m off to the airport to stretch my eagles wings! Yay!
Called my care taker about Chaco, she’s getting shoes today and I will be landing back before I meet with them at around 1:00pm pst. (Always care for the animals that God has blessed you with!) :D
Please make them flat heels, high heels are bad for the back :D

Back
Top Bottom