It was a great evening..,

But shortly after that, we had our first hawk attack! I don’t think anyone was hit. But there sure was a lot of excitement. The dog and I chased it off.
Lovely video as always. So glad you chased off the hawk. Were you standing right there when it struck ?!

I want to ❤ this too bc of all the promising updates, but the 😱 is for all the molts and the hawk attack! I hope everyone is 100% unscathed.
Thank you! Me, too. They seem to all be ok! Pretty shaken up and I had to hand carry every single one of them from their hiding places back to the run.

Really it can take months to truly integrate.
Yes, you're right, and my experience with integrating Queenie showed that - though it was exceptionally easy, she was getting along well, but it definitely wasn't settled down even 4 months later, there were regular visible roosting shenanigans. It definitely shifts and affects everyone in the tribe. It's not like simply tacking on another car to the back of the train.

I don't know what to do about Blossom. I think she was dealing with sour crop, and I thought that she was finally getting better. But she stopped eating and on Monday her crop started to swell a bit again. We'd been giving her antifungal medication (Nystatin, 30 mg / 2x day for 10 days). I don't know what else could be the matter, other than a relapse. (?) I don't know - does anyone have any advice? We don't live by a good vet for turkeys, and the vet we did try to go to just gave us very basic information.

Do you think that colloidal silver could help? I've heard that it's helpful for fungal infections/growths.
Change up the anti-fungal medicine?

But shortly after that, we had our first hawk attack! I don’t think anyone was hit. But there sure was a lot of excitement. The dog and I chased it off.
Hawks are not be trifled with. Hopefully the ladies are more aware now after an attack.

FYI: I didn't 'love' the Hawk attach, just loved the intro to your wonderful girls. (Sorry, Ladies! )

I thought the hold upside down was supposed to be a bad idea because they are likely to aspirate.
Yes, I've been thinking that, reading this conversation. You need to be very careful. With sour crop, you could also try massaging the bottom of the crop (carefully, so you don't cause aspiration). It's a shame @Anonymous Chicken hasn't found an avian vet; mine did two crop washes, which seemed to help. When you apply the anti-fungals, if the lesions are in the mouth you will need to squirt it in the beak so there is contact. There is no point syringing it into the crop if the lesions are in the mouth. I did that for River. ACV in the water, massage the crop and give her anything to eat that she fancies, you need to keep her nutrients up. Good luck! (I'm also quite a bit behind and may be late to the party).

I just arrived back home from a dinner. The chickens were in the barn/coop where they belong. Locked it up, and Arizona and Dakota were waiting for me on the porch (in the dark) I left the light off. Now everyone is back safe inside. I really don’t like driving these dark highways at night (only lights are bright headlights from the trucks) I would rather fly at night, than drive. (No truck headlights up there) :frow Beans and nachos everyone. (Buenos noches)

Back
Top Bottom