I’m glad to hear good news, here on BYC. My news is pretty much all bad. The (windy fire) in Tulare County, effects us here, and evacuation is mandatory at my mountain aire property up on the mountain. Here’s my lovely sunrise picture this morning. :sick (View attachment 2844834 my poor chickens and horse have to breathe in this air too) :(
Geez. That looks awful. Stay safe. Do you have a plan for evacuating chickens (and horse)?
Hope it doesn’t come to that but good to be prepared.

I know it is Friday and I will try to get a picture of the Friday end of a chicken later.
In the meantime, there is no denying it. Maggie is molting. So far she seems very chipper unlike last year when she was one hot mess.
B5DB8B4B-AC1F-439C-B7A3-BF211BDFBA4A.jpeg

Meet Henry The Second and his hens!
These are all Ex Batts or rescues.
I'll be looking after them along with another person for the forseeable future.
They all live on a large allotment plot about 5 mins walk from my daughters.
I'll get some better pictures up later.
There is a lot of work to do. The start was made this morning when they all got out of their run for the first time together.:celebrate
The first project is to increase the size of their run. There is just about enough grunt left in me to get a fence up and maybe even build a new coop. Negotiations are currently in progress.
I picked Henry The Second up today and a few of his hens. I haven't held a rooster for almost five months!
View attachment 2843499View attachment 2843506View attachment 2843507
Where did Henry The Second come from Shad? I don't think they have battery roosters!
And one thought as it is an allotment - I don't think you did this with the Tribes, but be sure to set up a manure composting system - whatever they grow in the allotment will win prizes with that fertilizer and it is for free.
Actually you could bag it and sell it - I am always being asked if I can spare a bucket of chicken manure to help with roses and the like.
:love

This is the view of the allotments with my back to the chicken coop. Lots of scope here for "improvements".View attachment 2844813
This is what needs improving.
View attachment 2844814
Oh arr, I'll be helping out with the geese as well.
View attachment 2844815
The person who is responsible for the allotment area do their best with what help they can get and what funds they have.
They've found it difficult to find anyone who knows much about chickens, let alone some nutter like myself who is prepared to put in what will turn out to be quite a lot of work and when extra food and rebuilding projects are taken into account, some money.
Some people like to spend their disposable income on other things. I'm happy spending it on the chickens.:confused::rolleyes:
Some people don't qualify those people as "nutters" but as good souls.

I am truly so happy for you and all those feathery friends.

Thank you. I might try one of those. I have a tiny fan you can hang round your neck to keep bugs away from your face when you are in the garden. Of course now it is summer I cannot find it!
Hang it in the seasonal supply closet with the snowshoes. You know, the closet that is a magical disappearing room...and is NEVER to be found when you need it.

Back
Top Bottom