I'm mulling ideas on this. I could take out the existing nest boxes and replace with more roost space. Could also make the nest sites more baby accessible...🤔 this is going to require serious thought....nest needs to be inside coop for security, on the "ground" so no roost above it, nor roosts above feed/water station....alternative: turn carport into a coop with everything there...then must line inside for protection from the metal siding. Makes sense to put a door in from garage so can access there/heat via wood stove in the garage....screen door....car exhaust....LOTS more mulling of ideas.
Couldn't there be roosts above a nest box on the ground, if there was a barrier for poop protection like a poop board above it?

Couldn't there be roosts above a nest box on the ground, if there was a barrier for poop protection like a poop board above it?
@Aussie-Chookmum
Have sketches (written sideways, pics came out perfect: top is north)
Currently
20210924_185824_001.jpg
One idea, margin last thought, now upside down in pic.
20210924_185834_001.jpg

Upside down: thought of adding second board of "nests" inside cage, removed when cage wall down for orphans/ medical use needed....kinda like RC's palace but wall gets raised and clipped to the ceiling so space isn't permanently separated. Thoughts?

I traded Shenandoah, for Hen-Rietta. Now I’m getting a real treat. A beautiful Leghorn keeping me company. Six years old and she’s still as sweet as a baby chick. (Ps. My prolific layer) :D
There is nothing like a leghorn..........

Back
Top Bottom