The reason they don't do well together is that the acid from the vinegar may kill some of the good bacteria from the yoghurt, kefir etc.
Now it isn't totally straight forward because many of these good bacteria are able to survive the hydrochloric acid that gets added into the mix to aid digestion, but probably not all, so you may be making the probiotic less effective.
Personally I wouldn't sweat it too much and just try to keep them separate in timing.
I would see what is most effective sitting in the crop overnight and go with that last thing at night if possible.
I have probably got that all wrong so I will let myself out now and go visit my Princesses.

:oops:
Excellent! You did very well. :clap :clap

Good morning. So here are a couple videos demonstrate me NOT doing a great job st tube feeding. The first is me getting less than half a syringe into Flash and the second one is an unsuccessful attempt at getting more into her. Interestingly, let me love on her for a long time after the second attempt.

Did I miss something? Is Flash sick? I don't remember you saying that.

For only 2 days to keep them from starving and I was in your position I would bake a pan of cornbread and once it's done crumble it up for the quail. If they are like mine your chickens would like it to. I know it's not the best, but if your in a emergency situation you have to do what you have to do. Another thing you could try is if you have dogs or cats and have dry food available put some in a blender and crumble it up for them. A can of wet food would work as well for a day or so.
Plain old Bird seed will also work and it is sold everywhere. The tiny millet seeds in it are good for small birds. They just need chick grit to digest it.

I have to say Drumstick has done me proud with turning people around on Roosters. Momma hens chicks are just over 3 months old and I listed them the other day. She had 9 out of her 10 survive and of course 6 of them are boys. Rosie's best friend and next door neighbor Maddie's papaw has 2 Drumstick sons. He stopped by this morning with his son out of the blue. He wanted a boy, and wanted one related to his dad's 2 boys. Apparently after years of keeping only hens due to "mean" roosters his father's 2 boys have changed his mind. I told him perfect timing and told him about momma hens boys and the 6, 5 week old boys that Bunny has. He decided to take on of momma hens boys since they are bigger as he was afraid his 7 older hens might bully and hurt the younger boy. Ok no problem and after picking out the boy he wanted I brought out the bread treats in order to lure him into the coop so I could catch him. 5 minutes later they are leaving with his new boy "Leroy".
This is a fabulous development. Well done!

20200222_155507.jpg

20200222_155807.jpg

Wow, oddest looking Quail I've ever seen! Quite colorful specimens, though! ?When will they get their 'big quail' feathers? :gig
Those are funny looking quail. 😄

Plain old Bird seed will also work and it is sold everywhere. The tiny millet seeds in it are good for small birds. They just need chick grit to digest it.
I did not even think of bird seed. I blame it on my chickens, or as the wild birds think of them the terrorists. Years ago, before the chickens I used to feed the birds. Now, thanks to my crew who happen to love to stalk and chase the wild birds I no longer feed them. I feel it would be unfair to the birds to purposely set out feed and attract them only for them to be chased away and stalked by my hens. Henrietta started it, and then taught and encouraged the others to join in her favorite game. Even though she's sadly passed on, her pupils learned well and enjoy a good game of "bird hunting". Butter and Blueberry are now to 2 ring leaders of bird hunting.

For only 2 days to keep them from starving and I was in your position I would bake a pan of cornbread and once it's done crumble it up for the quail. If they are like mine your chickens would like it to. I know it's not the best, but if your in a emergency situation you have to do what you have to do. Another thing you could try is if you have dogs or cats and have dry food available put some in a blender and crumble it up for them. A can of wet food would work as well for a day or so.
Those are all great ideas.
I hope it works out.

Back
Top Bottom