I honestly thought Hattie would be the first to go broody. I definately am surprised by it being my sweet Mal.
This is how I feel! I thought for sure it would be Snow, not my sweet, baby Belle to go first.
I hated preventingbroody hens from doing what they should. I was lucky in that I did let every hen that wanted to sit and hatch do it at least once. There were very few exceptions.
The problem is, coping with all the demands on resources that another batch of chicks make. Predation helped but even then housing became an issue.

I have done the following and bar a very few exceptions it has worked. It may not be possible for some because of verious factors.
I let the hen sit for three or four days. I do this to make sure she switches off her egg laying cycle.
I take her off her nest and take the eggs, but I break one in the nest and mess the nest up.
Most hens go back to the nest and some will sit in or close by for maybe a day then give up.
Next level is to completely destroy the nest and if it's in a coop, prevent them from returning to the nest by blocking it off.
Rare, but I've had to do it with a couple of hens, move the hen in with me for a few days and keep them on the floor. My floors were concrete.

My view; don't bath them or get them to sit on ice or many of the other things people suggest. I found that if it looks as if a predator has discovered the nest then they are less relluctant to abandon it.
I’ll keep all this at the ready, Shad.
I gave in yesterday after she had been doing laps of the closed off coop then ended up jumping up on the nest box lid. I had put a cold pack in the box (not ice, but quite cool) and she instead went straight onto the bedding under the roost and began to sit and make a nest.
The cold packs came out and I let her be. I’ll give her a few days and if she hasn’t given it up (never had one but she seems quite determined) I’ll decide what to do for her from there.
I feel if I had have bought the bigger coop already I would be looking for fertilised eggs once she proved her desire and ability to continue to sit, I’m hopeless. Not sure if I’m relieved or disappointed about that fact of not having the coop space.
It’s lovely seeing such a natural behaviour, just beautiful. She gave a few light ‘screeches’ when I opened the lid to check on her in the afternoon but no pecking at all…yet 🤭

I have frankly been hoping that the "birds of a feather" would work this out for me. Maybe it will. I do appreciate your advice and you know I have always tried to let them be what they want to be. I just wonder if a little help isn't in order.

I am leaning towards moving Phyllis to the "The Hut" each night whether she roosts outside or in the big coop. (I am going to move her if she roosts outside anyway. It's not safe enough. ) I'm not sure I want to interfere any more than that. Perhaps I can help her to reset her home by doing that. If I could get her to do that she could avoid all of the roosting abuse. If she doesn't take to it in a week or so, I could always stop doing it. This feels like the least invasive step with the potential for the outcome I think would be best.

The Phyllistines view The Hut as their home and will go back there on their own. So opening things up should not be a problem.
It's up to you but your plan idea would be my inclination, to give it a shot, if I were in your place. Although I agree with most of what @Shadrach says, I'm with @RoyalChick on this one philosophically. The situation with Phyllis, actually with all chicken-keeping, is not a natural one in the first place, in so many ways. You are the chicken mama- daddy, and controller of the FB Acres universe. Because of the Hut and the two new littles, Phyllis doesn't necessarily have to lie any more in the bed that was made for her before. You can offer her a different bed, show her by moving her to it that this place is Approved Housing too, and it comes with two young residents who respect her. I don't see this action as terribly damaging if it doesn't have the result you are hoping for after a week. In the end, they will decide, and maybe it will be better for Phyllis.

Videos of the Phyllistines

I have been out sitting in the run with the Phyllistines this morning. They have been spending a lot of time on the porch and I have two videos of them for you.

The first is of Sylvie helping Legertha with her new feather shafts on her head. A nice little grooming session.

The second involves some spastic running about with them charging at the camera.

Friends help friends groom 💜

Oh dear - poor Minnie is definitely off today. I got a poo sample and am desperately trying to find an avian vet for an appointment (the guy I saw with Maggie has no appointments but will call me).
I have found one vet who can see her on Monday but requires a $50 non-refundable deposit to make the appointment - I have never heard of such a thing!
I am thinking I will do that - even if it is too late for Minnie I could get a wellness check on someone else and probably good to get to know an avian vet within semi-reasonable driving distance.
Dropping poo off at my regular vet - maybe results will be back before Monday.
Why did I decide to keep chickens again? Why? They are so much stress and anxiety.
Minnie today.
View attachment 2867779View attachment 2867780
I hope all goes well for you RC.:hugs

Oh dear - poor Minnie is definitely off today. I got a poo sample and am desperately trying to find an avian vet for an appointment (the guy I saw with Maggie has no appointments but will call me).
I have found one vet who can see her on Monday but requires a $50 non-refundable deposit to make the appointment - I have never heard of such a thing!
I am thinking I will do that - even if it is too late for Minnie I could get a wellness check on someone else and probably good to get to know an avian vet within semi-reasonable driving distance.
Dropping poo off at my regular vet - maybe results will be back before Monday.
Why did I decide to keep chickens again? Why? They are so much stress and anxiety.
Minnie today.
View attachment 2867779View attachment 2867780
Good luck with it all RC :hugs :hugs

Is that particularly big? I feel like mine get way bigger. It I sometimes comical to see them waddling around with a big full crop and still stuffing more in!
Well, not really, but she’s tiny! I don’t see huge crops on a regular basis around here. Saw it on Ruby when hers was slow and both my australorps (RIP Bagherra) stuff(ed) them like crazy!

All of the above could help. Sure I've got a blender, it's a strange old make called a hammer. I've got one of those old whisks too; it's called a fork.:D
My problem isn't really ideas of what to feed her, it's more of ahow and when problem. If I even look like I may have food I'm mobbed. Lima tends to hang back a bit.
The only way I’ve been successful with this problem is by pulling them aside… either bringing them into the house or letting them outside the run a little early before letting the others out.

Back
Top Bottom