I have frankly been hoping that the "birds of a feather" would work this out for me. Maybe it will. I do appreciate your advice and you know I have always tried to let them be what they want to be. I just wonder if a little help isn't in order.

I am leaning towards moving Phyllis to the "The Hut" each night whether she roosts outside or in the big coop. (I am going to move her if she roosts outside anyway. It's not safe enough. ) I'm not sure I want to interfere any more than that. Perhaps I can help her to reset her home by doing that. If I could get her to do that she could avoid all of the roosting abuse. If she doesn't take to it in a week or so, I could always stop doing it. This feels like the least invasive step with the potential for the outcome I think would be best.

The Phyllistines view The Hut as their home and will go back there on their own. So opening things up should not be a problem.
Once I had integrated the Faverolles, Tegan would always bed down in the quarantine tractor, so I moved her every night. Then once I put the tractor away she knew where her bed was.

I found this link: https://www.facebook.com/rescuehen/
Battery Hens Rescue Org., USA. It is to their FB page, but I'm not on facebook, and don't know all the in's and outs, so didn't try to 'explore' their page. In other words, no knowledge about the quality of the organization, just that it exists.
Hmm...Looked around, not active since 2018. Too bad!

I ate some as a kid and it was sour.
Sorrel Soup:

3 c.packed washed sorrel leaves**
3 medium potatoes (cubed)
1 small onion (diced)
2 tbs butter
salt & pepper to taste
chicken broth - enough to cover sorrel in pot (or other stock of your preference)

Put sorrel, broth, 1 tbs butter & salt & pepper & cubed potatoes in pot, bring to a boil, reduce heat & simmer until potatoes are cooked. Meanwhile, place diced onion in fry pan & saute in the remaining 1 tbs butter, stir frequently until translucent and edges are turning slightly brown.

Remove all from heat, allow to cool enough to handle. Pour/scrap everything into blender (sorrel/potato mixture & sauteed onions). Blend well. Chill. Great 'summer soup' served chilled.

Variations: can add shredded carrots, use milk for a creamier soup, and also add green chives for garnish. Some people do not puree this soup, but I much prefer it this way since I usually serve it cold.

**if you use wood sorrel, just puree & strain after cooking seperately, this allows you to use whole plant above ground)

Tax
Tax: 5 week old 'pullets'. Brooding them for a colleague. RIR & Astralorps. Blurry one is most likely a cockerel, though!
IMG_0048.JPG

Back
Top Bottom