Hahaha, yep, it was amusing to watch and amazing how instinctual it all is.
Oh and the size of the poop!!! 😂
Do I get her out again before dusk to fill up before bed if she doesn’t do it herself?
I thought everybody does it once a day and that's enough. I recall @BY Bob got Phyllis out once a day, didn't he?

It's almost been 2 months since Drumstick passed and Basil has grown up. Gone is the lanky teenager and now a fine young man struts proudly around in his place. He really is the spitting image of his daddy.
View attachment 2865739View attachment 2865740View attachment 2865742View attachment 2865743View attachment 2865749View attachment 2865753View attachment 2865755View attachment 2865756View attachment 2865757View attachment 2865758View attachment 2865759
What a handsome boy!

Last edited:
Yup, she can dig, no doubt about that. I love watching them dig. They don't do it in the run. Once outside their whole demeanour changes. The thing is, I can improve their diet reasonabley easily and I could do that while they are contained.
What I can't do and neither can they really is get the same kind of intensive excercise they do running around out of the run and in particular, all that digging. It's these types of activities that helps to get them fit, not to mention all the stuff they dig up and eat that is not in any feed I've seen.
Best of all is watching them fly. Okay, there have not been any spectacular 5 meters off the ground type flights, but a few of them now have flap run the entire length of the large part of the L shape that defines the "free range" area currently.
It is so wonderful to hear about them 'learning to be chickens', and you tell it so well.

BTW: Fret is a gorgeous chicken...she looks like she has lots of personality, too :):love

There are two of these. They are Golden Comets. Golden Comets are a favourite breed down here in the West Country. Some are full on battery hens but many are/were partially free ranged. Both these know a lot about digging and both are prepared to venture quite far afield, until recently on their own. During the past few days Henry 11 goes with them and stands guard while they forage. One in particular seems to be one of Henry's favourites.View attachment 2865967View attachment 2865969View attachment 2865971View attachment 2865972
Lucky ladies...having such a good beau. I'm glad Henry knows his ''duties' of a Roo. Where did he come from? Since, obviously, he isn't an 'ex-batt'. Might he have had a daddy around to learn good Roo behavior from?

I know Golden Comets are another hybrid/high production breed,, so I shouldn't be encouraging of the breed, but I love the coloring of them :)

Afternoon coop haul, @BY Bob don't look
20211016_170113.jpg
Feather is Storm's prep for adult moult. Brown egg: Pear. Blue, likely Splash as she's the one Cheetah was directing yesterday. She laid in same box as Pear.

There are two of these. They are Golden Comets. Golden Comets are a favourite breed down here in the West Country. Some are full on battery hens but many are/were partially free ranged. Both these know a lot about digging and both are prepared to venture quite far afield, until recently on their own. During the past few days Henry 11 goes with them and stands guard while they forage. One in particular seems to be one of Henry's favourites.View attachment 2865967View attachment 2865969View attachment 2865971View attachment 2865972
Shad, seeing you enjoying and caring for chickens again makes me immensely happy. ❤️

Oh dear - poor Minnie is definitely off today. I got a poo sample and am desperately trying to find an avian vet for an appointment (the guy I saw with Maggie has no appointments but will call me).
I have found one vet who can see her on Monday but requires a $50 non-refundable deposit to make the appointment - I have never heard of such a thing!
I am thinking I will do that - even if it is too late for Minnie I could get a wellness check on someone else and probably good to get to know an avian vet within semi-reasonable driving distance.
Dropping poo off at my regular vet - maybe results will be back before Monday.
Why did I decide to keep chickens again? Why? They are so much stress and anxiety.
Minnie today.
View attachment 2867779View attachment 2867780
I’ve been there RC, it’s hard. I hope it works out for you. :hugs

Back
Top Bottom