Hattie hard molts every year. So did Patsy. There was no difference regardless of weather.

I notice that she still had a red comb. Isabella's face is ghostly pale. I have the day off from work tomorrow, so I am going to bundle up and hang out with the chickens to watch her behaviour.

I'm pleased it went well last night. As others have said, I do think you're over thinking this a bit. Nasty as it seems to us it is normal chicken behaviour & really quite mild. Usually it settles down pretty quickly unless the girls are interfered with. Bob's ladies are rather the exception to the rule. :plbb Lots of space, which you're giving them, is key to a smooth integration. It sounds like it's going really well to me. My 1st integration I knew nothing & my bullies bailed the newbies up in the coop & wouldn't let them anywhere near the food & water. Now I have super smooth integrations but even so there is always some pecking goes on while everyone works things out.
They chased Agatha out into the cold this morning. I can't handle that and she definitely can't. So I've done everything wrong it's too cold and windy for her out there and her eggs are falling apart. So they are outside the main coop with two shelters the small coop and their outside shelter.

How can a weak battery hen cope like that

Edited. I've just put amber in the coop with Tina and Agatha. See how this one goes

Last edited:
They chased Agatha out into the cold this morning. I can't handle that and she definitely can't. So I've done everything wrong it's too cold and windy for her out there and her eggs are falling apart. So there outside the coop with two shelters the small coop and their outside shelter.

How can a weak battery hen cope like that
They do better with the cold than heat. Heat kills really quickly. What makes you think Agatha can't handle the cold? Chickens moult when it starts getting cold & most do ok. If her eggs are thin shelled that is a separate matter that needs addressing with calcium. Others on here have good ideas about that.

One thing to consider [& I don't want to worry you] is sometimes a tribe will force a sick chicken out ~ especially if they consider her a threat to the rest. Has Agatha had a vet check? I'd consider it. Electrolytes & extra vitamins may be in order while she rebuilds her strength.

They do better with the cold than heat. Heat kills really quickly. What makes you think Agatha can't handle the cold? Chickens moult when it starts getting cold & most do ok. If her eggs are thin shelled that is a separate matter that needs addressing with calcium. Others on here have good ideas about that.

One thing to consider [& I don't want to worry you] is sometimes a tribe will force a sick chicken out ~ especially if they consider her a threat to the rest. Has Agatha had a vet check? I'd consider it. Electrolytes & extra vitamins may be in order while she rebuilds her strength.
I'm waiting for a tonic to arrive. I wrote in here yesterday. It has all vitamins needed in including electrolytes it's called Activit.

I always add oyster ground down shells as well as mixed grit. They have also had ground egg shells. I have mineral and calcium supplements here I think I will use again in tonight's feeding .

Back
Top Bottom