This is so terrible!I left four fertile eggs in a homemade incubator at my grans,the servant suppposed to take care of the heating left the bulb too low on the eggs,all 4 are dead I just threw them in the bin and pop dosent seem to be able to thrive anymore…..I’m crying right now!
I'm so sorry. :hugs :hugs

Thank you for taking the time to watch them. I really hope you are right.
Last night she roosted with everyone else so I let her be until 5am when we had our little coconut and massage routine. I would say her crop was almost empty this morning - just some sludgy stuff right at the bottom which I pummeled around in case that helped to get it moving.
Again today she sort of relaxed during the massage. I can highly recommend this as a soothing morning routine to sit in the coop in the dark with a warm and sleepy chicken tucked under one arm while you knead at her crop. Honestly I am beginning to think this is as much for me as for her! Maybe I should do this for everyone in the flock in turn!
A couple of other quick updates yesterday she ate a lot - I kept her in the hospital to make sure she ate - beef and mash from commercial feed with cabbage. She likes the cabbage best and picks it out - but ate a couple of heaped table spoons of that mixture. This morning when I put her into the hospital bed she tucked in to breakfast immediately even though it is still dark. Today I am serving scrambled egg with beef cabbage and Kefir (for the probiotics).
I am really, really hoping she will come through this. I have to go on a business trip next week and I am not sure I can ask the lady who will care for my animals to do this routine so really hoping she is better by the weekend. :fl :fl
Finally, ages back @Shadrach had mentioned having a headlamp with a red light. I already used a headlamp so I just filed it away in memory banks. My old one is still working but is getting to the end of its natural life (already extended with a fair bit of tape) so I splashed out and got a new one with a red light option. It is a game changer! The ladies can still see I am there but they are way less disturbed by the red light.
Sorry for long ramble!
This feels like wonderful news all around. I'm glad you are enjoying the squeezing time. We have one with the red light as well. It makes things much easier to do at night.

:fl I hope Minnie is fully and happily reintegrated before your travel. With all the care you are providing it seems more than possible!
Thanks for mentioning the red headlamp. Think I'll get one too.
And lastly, in terms of thinking of adding all the flock to the morning crop massage routine... all I can think is...who wouldn't enjoy waking to a therapeutic massage each day?
Indeed. Not a bad way to wake up at all.

No Hawk Sign so far Today

The big ladies are out and roaming the yard with no concerns. The littles are locked in the run again today.

20211021_080345.jpg

The bigs are very jumpy with strange noises making them alret.

No Hawk Sign so far Today

The big ladies are out and roaming the yard with no concerns. The littles are locked in the run again today.

View attachment 2873411
The bigs are very jumpy with strange noises making them alret.
Seems to me the best of situations for the bigs...out roaming, but on awards.
I do hope the littles are too jealous. Safety first! <insert Safety Chicken here>

Back
Top Bottom