I located a summary of the pain study. I can't get the entire article to link to it. Here is the summary.

Neuroma formation and abnormal afferent nerve discharges after partial beak amputation (beak trimming) in poultry​

Summary​

Following partial amputation of the beak recordings were taken of the electrical activity from single afferent fibers of the intramandibular nerve. A total of 192 single afferent fiber units were isolated of which 47 were classified as nociceptors, with an abnormal pattern of discharge, and 89 were abnormal spontaneously active units. Following amputation neuromas were developing by 15 days after surgery and they were well formed by 20 to 30 days. The presence of neuromas together with abnormal spontaneous activity originating from them raise serious welfare questions concerning beak trimming.

Additional info from BY Bob
This neuroma formation is the same as what occurs in human amputees that complain of chronic and acute pain as well as phantom limb syndrome. It is highly likely that de-beaked chickens suffer the same effects.
I was browsing through a list of "top" hatcheries in the states a while back just exploring breeds and characteristics listed by each hatchery. Ran across one (based in Wisconsin I think) that offered free beak trimming, posted right up front. Nope nope nope nope nope. Not buying from them EVER.

It is surprising what people will agree to when they are focussed on profit first.

Yesterday, I read some very interesting (ie appallingly exploitative) things that are in Pfizer's contract with the Australian government regarding COVID-19 vaccines.

TaxView attachment 2873983
Wonderful tax. Thanks for that one.

I was browsing through a list of "top" hatcheries in the states a while back just exploring breeds and characteristics listed by each hatchery. Ran across one (based in Wisconsin I think) that offered free beak trimming, posted right up front. Nope nope nope nope nope. Not buying from them EVER.
Please name them so we all know! If they offer it they must be proud of it.

View attachment 2873730
There is something wrong with this picture. I'll tell you what it is, Bunny is in the kitchen where she does not belong. The weather has been wonderful in the afternoons so we've started back leaving doors and window's open again before winter hits. Bunny is done raising her chicks and has started back laying. Today makes egg number 3. The problem with this is for the 3rd time she's came in the back door and inspected every square inch of the living room, dining room and kitchen looking for a place to lay. If I let her she would lay that egg in the recliner. After her walk-a-bouts I've carried her to the front porch nest boxes where she used to lay and she's settled in and laid. She could skip the house tour entirely, and she knows that. But nope, have to sneak in and inspect everything and then head straight for the recliner. Also, how can a 5lb hen stomp and sound louder then a 90lb dog walking through the house? CeeCee does not make that much noise when she walks around.
Maybe Bunny and Fat Bird are Beakbook besties? :confused:

Have you considered the convenience of a chicken that lays eggs in the kitchen?
Yes exactly! @RebeccaBoyd could put a small recliner in a corner there. Like grandma knitting by the stove, it's Bunny in the recliner! :p She would probably talk to you and keep you company too.

I am very reluctant to do anything bar the bare minimum with beak problems.
This study will help explain why.
I'n still horrified that there is an article here on BYC about beak trimming.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1166494/

I have reshaped a couple of hens beaks in the past. I do it very carefully with an engineering file, a bit like a nail file. It takes weeks doing a bit at a time, trying to mimic the natural wear achieved when a hen wipes her beak on rough stone.
Thanks to @Shadrach 's help Hazel's beak break and split repair with super glue and slow gentle filing to smooth the rough edge was a success. I think it's grown out, I'd have to check with a magnifying glass, I don't see it.

Back
Top Bottom