This is so true. I just don’t know where to get chicks in California. There is a place that will DELIVER the chicks vs. sending them in the mail (I think it’s called Dare to Dream,) but it’s still a hatchery.
What do we define as a hatchery? I got the Roadrunners and the Philistines from a farm near me. He and his wife breed chickens and they sell chicks (I don't believe they ship anything but eggs). Does the fact that they sell them make them a hatchery? Or is it something about the scale of the enterprise?
I felt I was doing better than going to a commercial hatchery in part because of no shipping by mail, and in part because it is a small family enterprise, and because I like him and his wife and they seem to really care about the chickens. For example he wouldn't let me pick them up on the day of hatch because he wanted to watch them for a few days to make sure they were healthy.
On the other hand, I am sure he disposes of his cockerels. I believe he actually raises them and sells them at the local livestock auction where they presumably get turned into dinner.
I am not vegetarian (though I don't eat much meat) so turning the cockerels into dinner is not a complete no-no for me.
But it is all difficult to think through what is OK and what not.

Tax
8EF05F0A-225D-4BA7-B984-C1A9D9EB558C.jpeg

Please be aware...

I've been feeding my animal's bananas as part of their food. Lately I've been coming across a lot of problems with bananas, but there's been warnings on these problems happening and it's happening here in UK now

There's a disease called "Nigrospora". Which is a bacterium that I mentioned about a month ago. I don't know if you are finding this in your locations

Last time my dog was sick I felt unwell and hopefully this has not hurt my chickens. I'm going to get activated charcoal into us all today.

Please pass this message on especially if you know people here in uk

I have informed the shops I've purchased them from. If they take this seriously or not is another matter.
One shop assistant just wanted me too leave because she was busy and the second shops customers service guy I got this morning sounded way too tired to take in what I was trying too tell him. So I didn't even give him the name of this disease.
Marie, Nigrospora is not a bacterium. It is a fungus broadly related to a range of fungi including the one that brought us penicillin and I believe nail fungus as well as a range of things that impact crops like rice.
It is very common everywhere in the world and likes to inhabit decaying leaves - I am sure I have plenty of it in my compost heap!
It does infect the inside of bananas but is not thought to cause meaningful problems in people (it is possible it could infect skin like the fungus that people get on their toenails).

Marie, Nigrospora is not a bacterium. It is a fungus broadly related to a range of fungi including the one that brought us penicillin and I believe nail fungus as well as a range of things that impact crops like rice.
It is very common everywhere in the world and likes to inhabit decaying leaves - I am sure I have plenty of it in my compost heap!
It does infect the inside of bananas but is not thought to cause meaningful problems in people (it is possible it could infect skin like the fungus that people get on their toenails).
I ate one of these before going to bed one night and trust me it made me feel sick.

My dog threw up 3 times I was worried he was ill but he got better after having charcoal. I honestly do not doubt what you say but that's what happened too us

I'm allergic too penicillin so maybe that's why I was sick but I don't think my dog is

https://inspection.canada.ca/food-s...nside-bananas/eng/1474985239822/1474985361544

This is one bit of information I found the last i read said bacterium

@Royal Chick

Last edited:
I love your drawing of the hawk, looks like it came in with a wing suit

You could strategically run strings and things between the stakes too, creating more vertical blocks. I have now two moveable greenhouse frames (7 feet tall, I can walk in them) that I've run 2 inch aviary netting over, and I sometimes use the strong step-in stakes (from Premier) holding up excess netting here and there on the ends. I won't risk them out of these arrangements unless I'm around. Your existing fencing and trees actually offer structure that could be part of an aviary arrangement, either temporary or permanent.
I never claimed to be an artist. 😆

100% not chicken related (although it could be given the investment into the new coop build)...
Guess who is just 50% into her fiscal year and already hit 100% of her quota? 😇
Tax:View attachment 2875362
Someone is killing it! Your going to have a big year! Congratulations! 🎉🍾🥂

I ate one of these before going to bed one night and trust me it made me feel sick.

My dog threw up 3 times I was worried he was ill but he got better charcoal. I honestly do not doubt what you say but that's what happened too us

I'm allergic too penicillin so maybe that's why I was sick but I don't think my dog is

https://inspection.canada.ca/food-s...nside-bananas/eng/1474985239822/1474985361544

This is one bit of information I found the last i read said bacterium

@Royal Chick
Sorry it made you sick. I read the link from Canada. Looks like many things can mess with the inside of a banana.

The song birds will move on eventually, unless they are House Sparrows, which I think are very late and very early birds seasonally. What are they, can you tell? What are they eating / doing there?
They are sparrows and wrens. And the sparrows never leave here. They stay all winter. :he

Back
Top Bottom