All this cabbage talk made me plan out making kimchi this week (for us humans).

@RoyalChick there has been lots of great ideas! Will be interested to learn what worked upon your return. Safe travels!
Is kimchi easy to make? I purchased it once from Whole Foods and put it in vegan quesadillas, to add nutrients and madk the awful fake cheese flavor) and it was actually quite yummy!

Not a great shot, but here are some of them free ranging today. They’ve been nervous lately, staying close to the run. The plastic sheeting and tarps are ugly, but effective. We have a storm coming.

Free range time was broken up today, as I had a memorial to attend midday.
2CE54690-E0CA-4CA6-8D58-6F384EEAF045.jpeg

Ideas please.
I am feeling much better about leaving Minnie to cope on her own while I am on my trip (I leave Sunday night).
She has fully emptied her crop two days in a row without coconut oil.
My current worry though is getting enough calories into her because as far as I can tell she will not eat the commercial food (same as Maggie on her first molt).
I have been feeding beef, beef liver, scrambled egg, kefir/yoghurt, rice, cabbage and sunflower seeds and she has been out in the yard a lot digging up whatever it is she digs up.
While I am away her yard time will be much more restricted. It won't be zero time out as one of the guys doing work on the house can be trusted to let them out and keep an eye on them and then lock them up when he leaves - but he won't be there every day. Also, I won't be there to provide my home made concoction.
My idea is to leave pots in the freezer of my food concoction and ask the lady who comes to feed the cats to empty one pot into the feed bowl each day. Of course Minnie will have to fight for her share but I can't think of what else to do.
In addition I will leave one extra waterer with Gatorade (now I know she likes it!) and I will water their enclosed pasture run (only 40 square ft) and add leaves to encourage the worms and bugs.
Any other ideas to make sure she doesn't starve while I am away?

Tax
View attachment 2875602
I think you have it covered!

Running the Gauntlet

When the littles woke up Saturday morning, they were in the way of Phyllis exiting. I was very concerned over what might happen. Fortunately the littles knew that as well and they decided to get to the other side before Phyllis got off the roost. I caught it on the camera.

This is the reason that tonight I placed them in the nest box and one of the reasons I am considering a roost in the nest box for them. It would be safely out of the way.
Bob, my thoughts about putting a roost in the nest box are contradictory.

On the one hand, it puts an alternative nest out of commission while also reducing the Littles' opportunities to learn how to be close to Phyllis and Phyllis's opportunity to adjust to the Littles.

On the other hand, the nest box isn't even being used as a nest yet, on the contrary, until very recently it was the Littles' bedroom. Also it will keep them from being pecked.

So I'm coming up shrugs between the two choices
:idunno

So Sunshine is still having egg issues. I gave her a calcium treat today, but doubt it will make a difference. She is not wanting to jump down from places; she’s very cautious about it. It makes me wonder if she is laying internally, possibly even shelled eggs. I don’t know what to do. I could wait it out. I could have the avian vet give her a hormone implant. Or I could have her euthanized before the suffering sets in. I hate all options. 💔
Another option would be to take away her daylight and stop her laying "naturally". I feel like a reset to her egg laying process might help to put everything back on track. This assumes of course that she is not laying internally.

Many years ago, when we had a house in the city with a pool, we had house finches and brewers black birds nesting in our yard. A hawk visited snd I believe it was plucking babies right out if the nest. :(
How awful. 😞 Nature is harsh sometimes.

Bob, my thoughts about putting a roost in the nest box are contradictory.

On the one hand, it puts an alternative nest out of commission while also reducing the Littles' opportunities to learn how to be close to Phyllis and Phyllis's opportunity to adjust to the Littles.

On the other hand, the nest box isn't even being used as a nest yet, on the contrary, until very recently it was the Littles' bedroom. Also it will keep them from being pecked.

So I'm coming up shrugs between the two choices
:idunno
This is my problem as well. Of course no one will be laying eggs for months so I have use of the box. Unfortunately, I would also be training them to sleep in the nest box which eventually will be a bad idea.

What to do? What to do? What to do?

Is kimchi easy to make? I purchased it once from Whole Foods and put it in vegan quesadillas, to add nutrients and madk the awful fake cheese flavor) and it was actually quite yummy!
I do a quick version (and without fish sauce), and yes, it is very easy.

Chop up Napa cabbage and salt it. Let drain then rinse throughly.
Chop up whatever other veggies you want in it (I usually do carrots, garlic, green onions and peppers)
Make a "sauce" with Sriracha, rice vinegar (or white vinegar) and sesame oil. Whisk together, pour over veggies.
As I am super impatient, I add a little hot water to the mix to help soften veggies faster.

Mix throughly, let sit for 30 minutes (up to a week).

I don't have measurements, all by taste and look 😱 but there are lots of "quick" recipes that will give an idea.

My crew looooves it. We are spicy folks 🌶

This is my problem as well. Of course no one will be laying eggs for months so I have use of the box. Unfortunately, I would also be training them to sleep in the nest box which eventually will be a bad idea.

What to do? What to do? What to do?
Some of mine would sleep in the boxes when they were younger. Once they started to be closer to laying age, we blocked off the boxes for a few weeks.

Very occasionally Pingu will spend the night in a box now too. I let her be bc she is bottom ranking and I figure she had a bad day 🤷‍♀️

Back
Top Bottom