The chooks don’t want to play with me today. :hit They must be sick of meally worms. Only Jaffar came over to see me for a minute, but then went under the porch with the others. (There is nothing special under that porch, except dust, feathers, and spider webs):confused: my warm friendly arms, are waiting for any one of them, who chooses to come visit!:th:idunno
I’m so unappreciated

I’m pretty sure I owe some tax today: 2BD88892-2E64-4BED-8E7A-67AC753DEAD7.jpeg

Near Tragedy 😨

It happens at some point with every new arrival at Fluffy Butt Acres. Let me take you through it.

Yesterday was a spectacular late October day. Sun, Blue Sky, and thankfully warm 76°F (24°C). I had no meetings after lunch time so I set myself up on the deck and released the littles to enjoy the beautiful weather as I could be on Hawk watch.

They were having a blast. It was great once again to hear their little voices while I was working. They were primarily spending their time around this bush. It was where they would rest in between forays out into the yard. Good cover from any air based attacks.
View attachment 2878784

All was good, no hawks, sunshine, warmth, it was a great afternoon. Until something startled them and they ran in a panic. It could have been a squirrel or "Sansa" as the bigs had grazed their way over to where they were. Considering the panic, I am guessing Sansa or Sydney went after them.

Regardless the reason, unsurprising my little spaz Sylvie ran in a panic, right into the pool. I jumped up and started over. Legertha was so upset by Sylvie's plight that running over to her she also fell in.

Somehow I had grabbed my camera and snapped a photo. I actually don't remember doing it. Pardon the poor quality.
View attachment 2878607

I got to Legertha first, scooped her out, and then scooped Sylvie out. They were quite wet.

View attachment 2878608

The pool water is very cold. Titanic-like. They needed dried and warmed up. I am so happy that I trained them to ride my arm during transport. I placed them on my arm and we went into the house to get a towel and warm up.

As I walked by I noticed I had flipped my chair in my haste to get to them.

View attachment 2878609

Of course entering the house drew the attention of both cats. We could not stay inside as I could not get rid of the cats and dry the littles. So we went back outside.

At first I thought I had gotten to them before they got too cold but the started shivering.in my arms. Here they are in the towel being dried and warmed by my body heat.
View attachment 2878610
View attachment 2878611

It took quite a while but eventually Legertha stopped shivering and then untucked herself and started grooming. On my arm.

Sylvie took a disturbingly long time to warm up. I was never as concerned as I was with Ned. But she was shivering and closing her eyes. I kept rubbing her to wake her up. Eventually she improved, untucked herself and promptly went to my shoulder to groom. Her favorite spot. She yelled at Legertha who was on my arm and Legertha went to join her.

Every chicken that falls in the pool and I warm up has to leave a deposit on me and Legertha was more than pleased to do so.

View attachment 2878612
View attachment 2878613
View attachment 2878615View attachment 2878617View attachment 2878618

Once they were no longer shivering and had groomed for a while I wanted to take them back over to the magnolia tree. If you have never tried to pluck a pullet from your shoulder, it is very hard and Sylvie gets spastic if you try. So I decided to try and walk them over on my shoulder. Here's the video.

They did eventually get down. They scratched around for a while and then headed into the coop where the heater was switched on to max.

Everyone survived and were chipper and running around this morning. Yes I know @Shadrach I should fill the darn pool in.
Just lucky you were right there to rescue them. I'm wondering if a retractable pool cover would work for you and Mrs ByBob.

Thanks for the intro!

Not at all related but funny story. You can tell we are first time chicken owners. We made the mistake of putting two beautiful potted mums (at chicken jumping height) around the coop. Yeah, that lasted for about a day...
Hello RockinFlock.:)

Say more. I was so hoping by getting Legbars I was out of that production breed world.
I will when I've watched them more. The Leghorns before these were layers, but not full on battery. There is a "breeder" in the next county much like some on here that likes to tinker with genetics. She has produced a few Legbar mixes that seem to die at about three years old. Apparently she wanted Legbars but ones that laid more eggs. The women wants locking up imo.

Back
Top Bottom