I think about it but want more experience and DH is against it anyway, I think because of the crowing, if he (the rooster) were to crow like the guy across the hollow I'd be in big trouble. DH has been supportive but wary. So baby steps.

It's been an education for DH having these personable hens, he does love animals and he is interested in what's going on with them. He had a bad experience over a few summers many years ago in his 20's when a crazy & irresponsible housemate got 3 chickens for free, which were quite aggressive and would attack people for seemingly just passing by, flying up with feet and spurs going. I think that's why they were free. And they'd fly over the low garden fence, getting into that along with the housemate's 2 goats (Hooper the Pooper and Lilly) which were always getting loose from their grazing areas.

DH doesn't remember any eggs from these chickens or hearing any crowing either, I asked 'cause I wondered if they weren't actually mistreated/problem roosters someone was trying to unload, or mistreated by the housemate. DH just remembers having to defend himself from sudden surprise attacks from the chickens 🥷 and to keep an eye on Hooper, who was actually quite nice but was always looking to bowl you over when you weren't looking. :lau
Sounds like going slow with him is very advisable. He was definitely traumatized. Give him a hug for me. :hugs

Near Tragedy 😨

It happens at some point with every new arrival at Fluffy Butt Acres. Let me take you through it.

Yesterday was a spectacular late October day. Sun, Blue Sky, and thankfully warm 76°F (24°C). I had no meetings after lunch time so I set myself up on the deck and released the littles to enjoy the beautiful weather as I could be on Hawk watch.

They were having a blast. It was great once again to hear their little voices while I was working. They were primarily spending their time around this bush. It was where they would rest in between forays out into the yard. Good cover from any air based attacks.
View attachment 2878784

All was good, no hawks, sunshine, warmth, it was a great afternoon. Until something startled them and they ran in a panic. It could have been a squirrel or "Sansa" as the bigs had grazed their way over to where they were. Considering the panic, I am guessing Sansa or Sydney went after them.

Regardless the reason, unsurprising my little spaz Sylvie ran in a panic, right into the pool. I jumped up and started over. Legertha was so upset by Sylvie's plight that running over to her she also fell in.

Somehow I had grabbed my camera and snapped a photo. I actually don't remember doing it. Pardon the poor quality.
View attachment 2878607

I got to Legertha first, scooped her out, and then scooped Sylvie out. They were quite wet.

View attachment 2878608

The pool water is very cold. Titanic-like. They needed dried and warmed up. I am so happy that I trained them to ride my arm during transport. I placed them on my arm and we went into the house to get a towel and warm up.

As I walked by I noticed I had flipped my chair in my haste to get to them.

View attachment 2878609

Of course entering the house drew the attention of both cats. We could not stay inside as I could not get rid of the cats and dry the littles. So we went back outside.

At first I thought I had gotten to them before they got too cold but the started shivering.in my arms. Here they are in the towel being dried and warmed by my body heat.
View attachment 2878610
View attachment 2878611

It took quite a while but eventually Legertha stopped shivering and then untucked herself and started grooming. On my arm.

Sylvie took a disturbingly long time to warm up. I was never as concerned as I was with Ned. But she was shivering and closing her eyes. I kept rubbing her to wake her up. Eventually she improved, untucked herself and promptly went to my shoulder to groom. Her favorite spot. She yelled at Legertha who was on my arm and Legertha went to join her.

Every chicken that falls in the pool and I warm up has to leave a deposit on me and Legertha was more than pleased to do so.

View attachment 2878612
View attachment 2878613
View attachment 2878615View attachment 2878617View attachment 2878618

Once they were no longer shivering and had groomed for a while I wanted to take them back over to the magnolia tree. If you have never tried to pluck a pullet from your shoulder, it is very hard and Sylvie gets spastic if you try. So I decided to try and walk them over on my shoulder. Here's the video.

They did eventually get down. They scratched around for a while and then headed into the coop where the heater was switched on to max.

Everyone survived and were chipper and running around this morning. Yes I know @Shadrach I should fill the darn pool in.
Oh my gosh, Bob! What a fright! But they are SO FRICKEN ADORABLE. And so are you.❤️ It’s just precious how they wanted your warmth and protection.

Thanks, we are a bit further north than that, closer to the outlets, really. :)

Our next challenge is going to be surviving the winter. We built the coop over 200 ft from the house... too far for electricity. My husband has assured me he will bring out (and take in) fresh water daily. Not that you asked, lol, but in case you were wondering :lau
I did the same thing. I now have a long extension cord going to the coop. I will never carry water to mine again like that. It is a lot more work than he thinks. That's at least twice a day. He knows that right?

Get a long extension cord.

I had one similar to that. It would not work like I need and I had algae all the time because of it. In fact the one I had would let them fall in and then cover their heads. It would make it more likely they would die.
Could you find something larger than the pool with weighted edges so it stays in place? Or a giant "soap bubble", kinda dome like?

Raven's story

9 months old, already a big boy (same size as Rusty). Was provided a pet carrier for him...the top opened :celebrate . Wrapped a towel around him to put him in carrier. He had his feet under him and stuck up above, slid towel over his head....he sat down, tucked head...closed top and removed towel simultaneously....oops, tail is facing end door. Well, he's only going to be in there for half hour or so. 20 mile drive, kept covered so he stayed quite. I hadn't met the family before (worked with grandma and auntie). Found the place. Pack carrier into run (hen (Reba, RIR) still locked in coop). Set down, stayed in run, family outside, closed run door. Opened top of carrier: Raven stood up. Families' eyes went big as saucers. He hopped himself out, explored run. We let him wander around for a bit (hadn't found BYC yet), then I stepped out with carrier, closed door and they opened coop door. Reba came out and promptly attacked the intruder. They settled with a bit of comb bleeding and by the time the babies were big enough, were a pair. Babies: brown leghorn, new Hampshire, 2 types of Polish. Then a few chicks hatched in class of one of the kids.

Fast forward: lost the class chicks (not really relevant to story) and a polish. Plan had been made for any roos in the babies to move to grandma's house. No coop yet, but 1 ordered when farm store didn't have any (FWY, backordered, finally arrived and while it said it could house 6 birds, they don't think 3 will fit in it). 3 of 5 remaining polish are roos, 1 getting picked on by Raven. Feathers missing, moved that one into garage, but not doing well. I had found BYC and was working my way through this thread by then. Told them to put a friend in with him. They put in 1 of the other polishr roos. The 3rd roo had been getting along just fine with Raven, so he stayed with the rest of the flock. A week later: Ghost (the featherless roo) is eating, growing back his feathers, the both are doing great. Show me a pick of 1 of the New Hampshires: is this a roo? (Only experience was Raven (jersey giant and polish)....um yeah. has the rooster hackle/saddle feathers. Them: there's no spurs. Me: they start growing in after the feathers. They have a friend wanting to breed NH, so he's going to them. Their hound got loose, killed a chicken (dunno which one). Ok, 1 time, keep watch on dog. This past week: dog got loose again, killed ghost. They hear the ruckus and come out to find Raven is on top of the dog, going for the eyes with (not sure if the NH or the other polish) the young roo dodging in for strike, rushing back out and circling around for another strike. Dog went to pound. Raven's comb is bloodied up, but otherwise he's fine. Young cockerels are fine. Such good boys!

Ghost's companion roo will be moving with both polish hens (Raven is awfully big for the little things) to grandma's as soon as they can figure out what to do about the coop. Large dog kennel is bigger than the coop, so maybe put something together in one, in garage, with hatch through wall to outside and kennel door inside access to nest sites. No one has time to build, but the miniscule coop (no access to nest area either) is getting returned for a refund. The kennel would be pretty easy to put together. (Tossed ideas around over lunch at work while I w as getting the story of Raven: Defender of the Flock)
Wow! Go, Raven! Yep, I suppose I do owe tax:
26AAC950-AEC5-4B62-8647-20F3D9C9EA0A.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom