Lately I’ve been hearing, but not seeing Red Tail Hawks. It’s the smaller ones I see on a regular basis. I used to know which ones they were based on their calls, but now I forget! Either Sharp Shinned or Red Shouldered.
Big migration movements now with Red Tail Hawks based on our Franklin Mt. Hawk watch reports (central New York, it is an area that due to geography the mountain ridge sort of funnels and channels migrating birds).

Went to do the afternoon check on the hens and they are all fearful. Earlier today they were all out in the runs, in the sun, acting normal. Now Hazel and Popcorn were up in the coop, somebody in the nestbox even - the most hidden and dark spot - and Peanut and Butters frozen below the coop, trembling. Hazel's making a warning series of low poppy growls, like Morse code but not intermittent, steady with each breath. I don't see anything but I suspect a Red Tail in the area must have made an appearance. Gave out some sunflower seeds in the coop run, right next to the ladder where they'd feel safe, and everyone but Hazel partook, coming out for it. I offered Hazel some on my hand up in the coop but she wouldn't take it. Afterwards, everyone went back up into the coop. Hazel's still growling. Checked all around the electric fence and it's good, 4k volts.

Big migration movements now with Red Tail Hawks based on our Franklin Mt. Hawk watch reports (central New York, it is an area that due to geography the mountain ridge sort of funnels and channels migrating birds).

Went to do the afternoon check on the hens and they are all fearful. Earlier today they were all out in the runs, in the sun, acting normal. Now Hazel and Popcorn were up in the coop, somebody in the nestbox even - the most hidden and dark spot - and Peanut and Butters frozen below the coop, trembling. Hazel's making a warning series of low poppy growls, like Morse code but not intermittent, steady with each breath. I don't see anything but I suspect a Red Tail in the area must have made an appearance. Gave out some sunflower seeds in the coop run, right next to the ladder where they'd feel safe, and everyone but Hazel partook, coming out for it. I offered Hazel some on my hand up in the coop but she wouldn't take it. Afterwards, everyone went back up into the coop. Hazel's still growling. Checked all around the electric fence and it's good, 4k volts.
Yikes! I wonder if they were visited?!?!

I forgot to mention last week… when I was sitting in the run, they must have spotted something as TWO of them were doing a quiet purr and almost ALL of them were absolutely still. Very different from the aerial predator call. Maybe what Shad calls the warning call?

I don’t feel so bad about being lazy today (anymore). I noticed that Jaffar is just kicking back too. Doesn’t want to crow at the moment, isn’t chasing his ladies all over the place, and actually, stopped by to say hi to me. (I gave him some meally worms, for his trouble) :D
Oops, never mind. He went over to the other side of the property and started crowing. That’s okay, he’s a rooster. He does what roosters do! :thumbsup

Back
Top Bottom