I hope @micstrachan will share her experiences here. I'm really interested too learn
Did you see my post about Deslorelin? It helped add over two years to Ruby’s life. Not sure that was such a good thing in the end, as I pushed it too far, but at the beginning, it was a miracle! In the future, I’d do what I didn’t have the guts to do with Ruby… treat until she’s feeling as good as possible, give her some last wonderful chicken days, and euthanize before she starts deteriorating again.

Fingers crossed! My only two that were laying have stopped and have swollen (?) bellies. Lucky, who started laying 2-3 a week, has stopped squatting and is starting to run from me. She’ll still hop into my lap momentariky, but I hope she’s just breaking for winter. She’s always been a bigger girl, but I don’t like the feel of her belly.

Sunshine, the Easter Egger who was laying shelled eggs INSIDE soft eggs also stopped and has a swollen belly. Unfortunately, she is squatting for me and was even making nesting sounds in the box the other morning. There was no egg after work. She still loves to jump into my lap for a cuddle and shove her head into my armpit.
:fl

Layman info on ascites, and how a person can assist/drain. do be sure if you try this to make sure it is sanitary. Personally, I would suggest draining by Vet...and see how long she is comfortable before she 'fills up' again...and then make a call as to whether you will drain again...or have the vet assist in putting her down....depending on her response. Doing nothing will, I believe, cause her to slowly suffocate due to the pressure on heart & lungs. (assuming it is ascites)
https://farminence.com/water-belly-in-chickens/
Also, if a vet drains her, ask for an honest prognosis. Ask about the volume, color, and turbidity of the fluid. Since we’re still in COVID times, I was unable to go in with Ruby and talk to the vet during her visits, so did not ask these questions, which I regret.

So when I got home from work, Sunshine was in a nest box with no sign of an egg. She came out, so I put her on a roost. Wondering if I should have let her stay there. Poor baby. Also wondering if I should have her put down before I leave town. 😞

I gave her a calcium this morning, just in case. Maybe she’ll drop an egg from the roost tonight.

So when I got home from work, Sunshine was in a nest box with no sign of an egg. She came out, so I put her on a roost. Wondering if I should have let her stay there. Poor baby. Also wondering if I should have her put down before I leave town. 😞

I gave her a calcium this morning, just in case. Maybe she’ll drop an egg from the roost tonight.
We never really know what to do :idunno my empathy doesn’t exactly extend to animals correctly!:(

Back
Top Bottom