7B2379DD-2DF8-427A-81BF-69F3D483858A.jpeg

Our lovely serama girl, darlin!

What I love and respect about you and your chicken philosophy is that you embrace the roosters. I know not everyone can have roosters, I get it. I'm also not throwing this at ANYONE on this page. But I feel so many people see roosters as the throwaways of chicken keeping. Those that are able to have a rooster will just automatically think it's going to be evil or immediately condemn it for the soup pot. I know there are jerk roosters out there, but if given half a chance there are also many many good ones. And in truth, roosters do serve a purpose beneficially to a backyard flock.
My MIL has several roosters (yes, some are going on the table). She's keeping 3-4 for her motley crew, 3 for me (in case something happens to Cheetah): a 3 year old and 2 1-year olds. She also has 1 crotchety old roo who gets to live out his days there as a grandpa pet (he isn't included in the rooster count)

Mine also hate and I mean hate snow. I love that yours did finally come out. 😆
The Buckeyes have been content to stand in the run doorway and look out at the snow. Then turn to better more interesting things inside, until today. With me standing right there for some safety they actually ventured onto the bare ground a couple feet in front of the door. For about fifteen seconds! :lau

Happy 6 month birthday Bubba, Branch, Poppy and Lil Bit.

Bubba. Can we just take a minute and say wow, in 2 more months this boy is going to be a knock out. He's starting to come out of the teenage looking phase and I am thrilled. What has me the most excited about him is his rich dark copper coloring and size. He is definitely going to be bigger then both Basil and his daddy. He does have a longer tail then Basil but it is not carried high so that is ok.
View attachment 2919407View attachment 2919409
This picture here shows the true representation of his copper coloring. I am thrilled because while he's gorgeous Basil, and Drumstick did have a halo in their hackle markings.
View attachment 2919410
Branch
View attachment 2919411View attachment 2919413
Poppy
View attachment 2919414View attachment 2919415View attachment 2919416
And Lil Bit, Looking at the new pictures yup, the rooster signs are there.
View attachment 2919417View attachment 2919423View attachment 2919424
Oh and to show the difference in the color of their hackle markings, here is one of Basil. You can see the halo, or lighter colored copper in the hackles. I personally like both to be honest.
View attachment 2919427
Beautiful!
I love these silkies but those photos of Branch straight-on look like a chicken in a gorilla suit! :D

The Buckeyes have been content to stand in the run doorway and look out at the snow. Then they turn to better, more interesting and less scary things back inside. :lau
Now we know the true meaning of a cold hardy breed. It is one whose members have the sense to stay in the warm!
:lau :lau

Sorry for being so inactive on this thread! Hello guys. We got 4 new chickens, 3 Silkies and 1 Serama. And our serama is the first to lay an egg! Woopie! not the best lighting but her feather on the egg. View attachment 2919763
Coagulation! That first egg is always so exciting! :wee :wee :wee

Back
Top Bottom