My Dad would do the same. I don't think I can. A week ago, sure. I was that angry and hurt.

Now, it's not afraid of me but somehow I need to discourage it. I need to somehow strap the nerf golf ball gun to my waist. I never have it when the hawk appears.
I am in favor of you carrying it with you at all times.

Christmas Lights and a Return Visitor

I spent Sunday hanging the outdoor Christmas lights. That included decorating the coop again. It came out well. Aurora decided to pose with the Christmas decoration for which she was clearly their model chicken.

View attachment 2919926

Here is the coop lit up at dusk.

View attachment 2919923

Throughout the day as I was working on the lights I could hear the nearly continuous scree of the red tailed hawk. However they never got closer than this.

View attachment 2919927

Return Visit

I was touching up the paint on the letters of the coop today, as I need to do before every winter, and the ladies were fussing at me. It was like they wanted me to know they were there but it was not the full whiney let us out. I talked to them for a while and all of a sudden they went dead silent.

This one had returned.

No chickens this way.....
View attachment 2919924

No chickens that way.......
View attachment 2919925

I guess I'll go and try to kill that sparrow hiding in the trumpet vines.

I did not run it off. I wanted to see it hunt. After watching that video, there is no safe place in my yard other than the complex. Nowhere. The ability that hawk demonstrated dropping down through those vines is scary. Those trumpet vines are the tribes favorite hiding spot. The tribe thinks they are safe there.

They are wrong.
That hawk is a beautiful bird. If only it would avoid your yard. :mad:
I imagine you are feeling a conflicting mix of admiration, frustration and anxiety about it. I hope they are migratory and head south soon.

My Dad would do the same. I don't think I can. A week ago, sure. I was that angry and hurt.

Now, it's not afraid of me but somehow I need to discourage it. I need to somehow strap the nerf golf ball gun to my waist. I never have it when the hawk appears.
Channel you inner Dadness - the term predator,
one that stocks, seeks out, plots, plans and wants to EAT CHICKEN
Daddy knew
but if you cant- many states have laws pertaining to protecting livestock-- I would call someone--
https://extension.psu.edu/landowners-guide-to-wildlife-control-and-prevention-laws-in-pennsylvania

Are you or Mrs BYBob handy with a needle and thread? Perhaps you could whip up something like this?
1638796468556.png

Good Afternoon everyone, I hope you all are having a good Saturday. I feel bad about complaining after the recent losses but I hope you all will understand a bit more then my family. The fact that Lilt Bit is a cockerel instead of the pullet I'd come to see him as is like a kick in the teeth. I should be used to this by now as it seems all I hatch out is boys, but I was soo sure I had a pullet on my hands this time. In fact since Lil Bit has a recessive single comb and really no beard and head poof he shouldn't have been able to hide his gender so long. Even now, looking hard at his physical features, tiny comb and very little wattles, they still scream pullet. But attitude wise, in the last 4 days there has been a total 180 change, he's found his voice and is letting the world know it. He's also doing the rooster dance or herding as Alex refers to it to me and others. He is not aggressive or mean so that will make it easier to find him a new home. I'm going to keep him until I can find the perfect match for him. He needs a place with a couple of his own ladies his size, not necessarily silkies. If I can find that honestly I'll probably just give him to them. I've had six months to get attached to him and I only want the best in his future home.
Sorry about your disappointment, but I am glad you are committed to a perfect fit!

What kind of hawks do you have?
coop_hawk3.jpg

DSCN2549.JPG DSCN2550 (2)_LI.jpg
Oct. 2018 my original 6 white leghorns Cooper Hawk stalked out and found a way in
ate the one on the far right

LG horned owls, they DO come out in the day time
birds-owls-great-horned-outdoorsman-dreamstime.jpg

Bald Eagles and I did have one Golden Eagle
These guys have free range- they do what they want - I just go out with the dogs and yell at them
37462778.jpg

Nov. 12th
We had visitors, 3, they spent quite a bit of time scoping out the chicken run,,,I hope you can see them. It was hard to take a pic. Eagles,
IMG_20211112_141146_HDR_LI.jpg

I appreciate that Marie. Please be certain that I'm not upset with you for for speaking your mind. However, the risk is not reasonable right now. They are being hunted by a very clever predator against which they have no defense. The complex is large and roomy. They spent all winter in it last year. They will be ok for a while.
Bob, just jumping in to say I think you are doing the right thing for now. Also, in my opinion it is not entirely your fault, as you did not understand or have awareness of the severity of the threat. I’m not saying you should just wash your hands of it; I know that’s not in you, and I couldn’t either. But please be kind to yourself and recognize all the tender loving care you have provided and continue to provide. Sorry, I’ll stop now, as I don’t think you really wanted any discussion around this. Hugs. :hugs

Tax
AC250EF0-EA95-42D6-8795-9923E0627BAA.jpeg

View attachment 2920060

View attachment 2920065View attachment 2920062
Oct. 2018 my original 6 white leghorns Cooper Hawk stalked out and found a way in
ate the one on the far right

LG horned owls, they DO come out in the day time
View attachment 2920073

Bald Eagles and I did have one Golden Eagle
These guys have free range- they do what they want - I just go out with the dogs and yell at them
View attachment 2920066

Nov. 12th
We had visitors, 3, they spent quite a bit of time scoping out the chicken run,,,I hope you can see them. It was hard to take a pic. Eagles,
View attachment 2920082
That is the same bigger for sure. I'm so sorry that you lost one as well. They are devilishly talented. 😟

Back
Top Bottom