Happy 6 month birthday Bubba, Branch, Poppy and Lil Bit.

Bubba. Can we just take a minute and say wow, in 2 more months this boy is going to be a knock out. He's starting to come out of the teenage looking phase and I am thrilled. What has me the most excited about him is his rich dark copper coloring and size. He is definitely going to be bigger then both Basil and his daddy. He does have a longer tail then Basil but it is not carried high so that is ok.
View attachment 2919407View attachment 2919409
This picture here shows the true representation of his copper coloring. I am thrilled because while he's gorgeous Basil, and Drumstick did have a halo in their hackle markings.
View attachment 2919410
Branch
View attachment 2919411View attachment 2919413
Poppy
View attachment 2919414View attachment 2919415View attachment 2919416
And Lil Bit, Looking at the new pictures yup, the rooster signs are there.
View attachment 2919417View attachment 2919423View attachment 2919424
Oh and to show the difference in the color of their hackle markings, here is one of Basil. You can see the halo, or lighter colored copper in the hackles. I personally like both to be honest.
View attachment 2919427
Wow, Bubba is gorgeous!!!

That is the same bigger for sure. I'm so sorry that you lost one as well. They are devilishly talented. 😟
yes, if you can think of a what if,,, they already did
We have Ravens, they will get chickens too, but only is they are loose, they wont try and get in the run. I had a young hawk in the spring that would sit on the fencing all day, it tried to dive in at the hens but miss calculated,, I have the top of the run covered in chicken wire,, it got a foot stuck for a few min. but flew off.

I thought maybe you could build a BIG run, maybe bigger that this, but surround both coops so the hens are always in it.
images.jpg

That hawk is a beautiful bird. If only it would avoid your yard. :mad:
I imagine you are feeling a conflicting mix of admiration, frustration and anxiety about it. I hope they are migratory and head south soon.
This is where they winter. It migrated to here. 😨

My Dad would do the same. I don't think I can. A week ago, sure. I was that angry and hurt.

Now, it's not afraid of me but somehow I need to discourage it. I need to somehow strap the nerf golf ball gun to my waist. I never have it when the hawk appears.
I hear that song in the background from Clint Eastwood “the Good, the Bad, and the ugly “ doo doo do, wah wah wah! Go get em, Bob!!

Channel you inner Dadness - the term predator,
one that stocks, seeks out, plots, plans and wants to EAT CHICKEN
Daddy knew
but if you cant- many states have laws pertaining to protecting livestock-- I would call someone--
https://extension.psu.edu/landowners-guide-to-wildlife-control-and-prevention-laws-in-pennsylvania
Thanks for the link. You will note that on that page where they talk about remediation there is no mention of hawks. This is why.

Hawks are protected in the United States under the federal Migratory Bird Treaty Act of 1918 (16 USC, 703-711). It is illegal to harm them, or to hunt, trap, cage, shoot, or poison them without a permit. Doing so is punishable as a misdemeanor and with fines of up to $15,000.

Are you or Mrs BYBob handy with a needle and thread? Perhaps you could whip up something like this?
View attachment 2920061
Maybe they sell one for my gun? I will be googling.

Bob, just jumping in to say I think you are doing the right thing for now. Also, in my opinion it is not entirely your fault, as you did not understand or have awareness of the severity of the threat. I’m not saying you should just wash your hands of it; I know that’s not in you, and I couldn’t either. But please be kind to yourself and recognize all the tender loving care you have provided and continue to provide. Sorry, I’ll stop now, as I don’t think you really wanted any discussion around this. Hugs. :hugs

Tax
View attachment 2920099
Yesterday really shocked me out of shall we say, my depression, over the losses. I need to take some kind of action. I am actively trying to develop a reasonable response now that I know what I'm dealing with.

I am sort of afraid that there may be no reasonable solution but I need to do something. I am taking all of the bird feeders down as a starter. I had let them run out of seed but now I'm taking them down and putting them away. This breaks my heart a little because I had them years before I had chickens and I had cultured an amazing variety of song birds who visited my yard and sang to me. 😥

Back
Top Bottom