Thanks for the link. You will note that on that page where they talk about remediation there is no mention of hawks. This is why.

Hawks are protected in the United States under the federal Migratory Bird Treaty Act of 1918 (16 USC, 703-711). It is illegal to harm them, or to hunt, trap, cage, shoot, or poison them without a permit. Doing so is punishable as a misdemeanor and with fines of up to $15,000.

Maybe they sell one for my gun? I will be googling.
Ya, same here, all of the above birds I mentioned are very protected,
the best I can do is run out the door yelling at them never am as fast ae they are, they out maneuver me , they can hear me from the kitchen telling the dogs- !"GO, chickchick! ! Ziva Go! and Ziva dog flies out the screen door barking up a storm, she makes a run for the coop area and Tony Boy follows--- and off they fly , most likely watching us from the top of a tree,
We have a Raptor rescue here,, I wonder if there is someone there that is licensed to trap/catch them and cart them off to Hawk happy land somewhere in the forest??

Channel you inner Dadness - the term predator,
one that stocks, seeks out, plots, plans and wants to EAT CHICKEN
Daddy knew
but if you cant- many states have laws pertaining to protecting livestock-- I would call someone--
https://extension.psu.edu/landowners-guide-to-wildlife-control-and-prevention-laws-in-pennsylvania
I spoke with the game commission. They informed me that I may not harm it in any way. They do not trap and relocate them. They suggested the following:
  • Get a rooster. (If only)
  • Get a Turkey or a Goose. They will beat up a Coopers Hawk and are apparently very fond of chickens. Who knew?
  • Hang shiny metal disks, CDs
  • Netting
  • Keep them in an enclosed space with a covered run. ✔
They gave me the phone number for the USDA saying they might have some other ideas.

It's starting to feel like the nerf gun is going to be my best tool.

I spoke with the game commission. They informed me that I may not harm it in any way. They do not trap and relocate them. They suggested the following:
  • Get a Turkey or a Goose. They will beat up a Coopers Hawk and are apparently very fond of chickens. Who knew?
  • Netting
They gave me the phone number for the USDA saying they might have some other ideas.

:thWhat a dilemma!

• Netting

I was told to hang up shiny stuff for two reasons. First they attract crows and secondly they can confuse the hawk’s vision.
The turkey or goose information is very interesting.

I'm back from visiting family for a long weekend! Hope I didn't miss too much while traveling...will try to catch up on later this week.
In the meantime, a through and through mug shot for Monday.
6863047018985567052.png

yes, if you can think of a what if,,, they already did
We have Ravens, they will get chickens too, but only is they are loose, they wont try and get in the run. I had a young hawk in the spring that would sit on the fencing all day, it tried to dive in at the hens but miss calculated,, I have the top of the run covered in chicken wire,, it got a foot stuck for a few min. but flew off.

I thought maybe you could build a BIG run, maybe bigger that this, but surround both coops so the hens are always in it.
View attachment 2920108
Maybe a Florida style pool enclosure that encloses the entire back yard. Hmmmmmmm. 🤔
-95-960x4000-0.jpg

Honestly in your case Bob, a misdemeanor could be acceptable. My opinion is (The more I miss, the meaner I get :mad:)
And you former law enforcement! Shocking! 😉

I'm not saying I haven't considered it. I could have wacked it with a shovel yesterday I got so close.

Back
Top Bottom