Yesterday was quite eventful, as I had to deal with a rainstorm and possible flooding in the area. We get A LOT of rain here on the island, so I don't normally have to worry too much about the feral chickens in my backyard, since they know the drill and they usually find a safe spot to keep dry as the rainstorm passes. Some will take refuge in the trees, others in my garage. Chickadee & her little ones (3 weeks old) hung out on my patio most of the day yesterday... but as the sun was setting, they left my patio and went back to their "nest". I couldn't help but worry about them last night.

I am happy to report that Chickadee & her little ones are all accounted for this morning! As you can see in the photos, Chickadee is soaking wet, while her little ones are completely dry! She is such a good mama hen and never fails to impress me!

View attachment 2921243View attachment 2921245
Just wonderful photos. 😊

Wait a sec.... are you trying to say Aurora and Katydid are not real detectives??

Because I tell you, I would not want those ladies on my case!

:gig
I think Aurora is.......

20200924_160045.jpg

At least I'm not telling her she isn't.

My dad has one I can use. These are a viable option.
You don't need to be that good with them to scare the hawk. It doesn't take much practice to be able to hit something at 5 metres away.
They are easy to carry so mine used to live in my pocket.
Avoid the ones with arm rests and other fancy additions. They are too slow for fast reaction shots.
I've never tried the clay shot.
I have tried the wooden ball shot. It's okay but not as accurate as a 6mm steel ball.
Flat bands usually have more power on a single band setup and with the second option allows you to fire over the top of the forks which most find easier to get decent aim with.
I had the Milbro, but I've had a lot of practice.

I spoke with the game commission. They informed me that I may not harm it in any way. They do not trap and relocate them. They suggested the following:
  • Get a rooster. (If only)
  • Get a Turkey or a Goose. They will beat up a Coopers Hawk and are apparently very fond of chickens. Who knew?
  • Hang shiny metal disks, CDs
  • Netting
  • Keep them in an enclosed space with a covered run. ✔
They gave me the phone number for the USDA saying they might have some other ideas.

It's starting to feel like the nerf gun is going to be my best tool.
The FedEx driver I talk chickens with said his sister has geese, and that of all the guardians she has the gander is the best, always looking up and watching. Apparently in this guy's opinion he's better than the roosters because he's bigger & more imposing for a predator to take on, and he gets a better ground view with his long neck, and he's always watching the sky. Plus, he waits at the front of the coop door every evening after everybody else (chickens, guinea hens, geese) have gone in to roost, and only finally goes in himself when he sees the sister approaching to shut them in for the night. 🥰

The FedEx driver I talk chickens with said his sister has geese, and that of all the guardians she has the gander is the best, always looking up and watching. Apparently in this guy's opinion he's better than the roosters because he's bigger & more imposing for a predator to take on, and he gets a better ground view with his long neck, and he's always watching the sky. Plus, he waits at the front of the coop door every evening after everybody else (chickens, guinea hens, geese) have gone in to roost, and only finally goes in himself when he sees the sister approaching to shut them in for the night. 🥰
What an outstanding guardian
:clap

It's time for a Butter update. Thankfully it seems as quick as she's looing her feathers the new ones are coming in. She spent 3 nights and 1 whole day inside. The 4th night I went out to get her she let me know in no uncertain terms that she was done being a house chicken, she went on the hill and tried to roost in the trees. Thankfully there was enough light left that I was able to lure her off with her weakness, Raisins. She is back to being queen of her chosen roost and she is at least not shivering at night. Her new feathers are coming in so rich. I think when she's done she is going to be at least a shade darker then she was and will be so pretty. I took these pictures Sunday, look, she's getting a tail back.
DSCN5826.JPG
DSCN5836.JPG
DSCN5837.JPG
DSCN5838.JPG

Back
Top Bottom