Lil Bit it seems has found a home and will leave Friday. It is going to hurt to let him go but he's getting 3 of his own silkie girls that are 10 months old. 1 of them looks just like him except for the hackle markings. He better mind his manners as he's also going to a home with a 8 and 12 year old little girls.
Wow that was quick. I hope he enjoys his new home.

I am certain they would never think such a thing. Otherwise how could I do this?

View attachment 2921379
What a wonderful Christmas card, I'm sure when your family received it in the mail, it put a HUGE smile on their faces- because how could it not?!

I have a feeling that even if our families did think we were crazy chicken people, that we wouldn't even care one bit :lau

I'm going to admit, I drug my feet and did not list Lil Bit until this morning. I also was fully prepared for it to take awhile to get any interest. So when I listed him on my page I also shared to a couple groups. I've been flooded with messages about him throughout the day. People in my area really do want silkies, even silkie roos. There were a few promising homes lining up when my next door neighbor knocked on my door. She had her best friend on the phone and was like here, talk to her please, she's as chicken crazy as you are. So I talked to her for 10 minutes and she then added me on facebook and sent pictures of her girls and set up. This home feels right and I feel great about having a personal recommendation about the type of home he's going to. Not only are there big girls there is also his own silkie hen who is already laying so he wont be rebuffed by his advances like all my girls are doing to him. I was initially only going to charge 10 for him to try to ensure he got a good home but as I said before if the right home came along I'd give him away. Which I'm going to do.

Me either 😨

It was rather brutal. That's why I put it in a spoiler.

The chicken won. Even the dogs thought twice about helping the rooster.
Thanks for the warning, I passed on even starting it though maybe another time I could watch it. So much death around! I don't like to see anyone getting killed, predator or prey, though I know it has to happen in our world. A hawk is blameless, just being itself. It doesn't choose it's way of living or how to eat to stay alive.

I hate that a big hawk killed Queenie, but I don't blame it for being who it is and I wouldn't get any joy out of it's death. Revenge doesn't bring Queenie back. If I had been right there I would have done what I could to fight it off and prevent Queenie's death, and if it had died because of me fighting with it then that's just the way it goes, that seems fair. But now, the hawk's death serves no purpose.

Killing a hawk that is looking for an opportunity, that also does not seem right. I think, what the right thing to do is to make your chicken's area not hospitable to hawks (noise, lights, patrolling dogs) and to prevent the opportunity arising, or at least bettering the chickens' odds (shelters, netting, etc). Because if not this hawk, then another, and another. At least where I live, it's like batting away mosquitos. Yes killing the one that's biting you or trying to bite you is satisfying and okay, but what about the many behind that one? And even mosquitos serve a purpose in the world. We have a few bats left here, they need them to eat.

BLANCHE IS GONE 💔
My best girl Blanche didn’t return from foraging on Saturday evening.
I knew right away it was bad news as she never does that. I took the dogs and searched our whole property but not a sign.
There were no particular tell-tale feathers I could discern, either, especially since all three white birds have been molting and the coop, run, and backyard area are littered with white feathers.
I can’t even describe my emotional state of mind.View attachment 2921002View attachment 2921003View attachment 2921012View attachment 2921013
💔💔💔💔💔💔💔💔💔💔💔💔💔💔
I'm so sorry. What a heartsick feeling. Poor Blanche! :hugs :hugs :hugs

Back
Top Bottom