Good night 🌹
20210924_084324.jpg

It was not a fluke, you used the best incubator on the market, a momma hen. I have yet to have a 100% hatch rate using the incubator. I have had a perfect hatch rate using a broody hen. With the incubator I hover constantly checking temps, humidity, making sure the turner is working, candling on schedule. With the hen, I leave her to it and focus on her. Making sure she comes off to eat and relieve herself and she does the rest. I'm going to be perfectly honest here and say something that I should smack myself over. I hope in the next week Chiquita goes broody. If she does I'm definitely giving her the eggs. It also solves the issues of me brooding them myself. Surely a hen that went broody 10 times last year will get with the program right?
Good luck! I will live vicariously through you hatching those chickies 🤗

Incubate them of course :jumpy and make a bigger, secure and weather-protected chick area if they get too big too fast and the weather doesn't cooperate. You can still provide warmth with the heat plate on its side in that. You have anything that could work if modified, dog kennel, etc.?
I could make it work if I had to, I have a old dog house plus dog crates that can be modified. Technically if the potential chicks grow at the rate Branch and Poppy did, they would be good with a couple chicks in my current brooder set-up for at least 4 weeks, if not longer. It is workable brooding them myself and I enjoy raising chicks. But lets be honest, by 3 to 4 weeks when you are brooding yourself you are ready to kick the poop machines outside. Yup, if I want chicks Chiquita needs to get her act together. If she is comfortable enough to quickly adjust to a new home and begin laying within her first week, hopefully she'll be comfortable enough to go broody.

Back
Top Bottom