Maggie the one-footed ice chicken goes hop about.
She rushed the door this morning and headed for the south facing slope where the snow has mainly gone. I thought she was after greenery - but no, she is eating ice chips. That she can do that one-legged suggests her balance is fully back to normal.

View attachment 2969556
What happened to her other limb?

My chickens also like to munch ice and snow chips 😊 they pick chunks of snow etc from my boots hahaha

What happened to her other limb?

My chickens also like to munch ice and snow chips 😊 they pick chunks of snow etc from my boots hahaha
Oh nothing.
She is like @bgmathteach's chickens from a few pages back - she stands on one leg so she can keep her other leg tucked up warm in her belly fluff.
Sorry, I didn't mean to worry anyone. She is fully two footed, but she did have a bad bout of something that made her lose her balance - I am betting on a mineral or vitamin deficiency but we don't really know the cause. A few months back if she tried to stand on one leg she would have had to extend a wing to prop herself up.

Maggie the one-footed ice chicken goes hop about.
She rushed the door this morning and headed for the south facing slope where the snow has mainly gone. I thought she was after greenery - but no, she is eating ice chips. That she can do that one-legged suggests her balance is fully back to normal.

View attachment 2969556
That really is a good. What a strange thing this was for her. I'm glad she is recovered. 👍👍

That really is a good. What a strange thing this was for her. I'm glad she is recovered. 👍👍
I am still not fully happy with her. Her comb is very shrivelled and she is still sleeping in the nest box. I can't put my finger on it - she is active and vocal as usual and over her molt with a fine set of shiny mahogany feathers - but I sense something isn't right.

I am still not fully happy with her. Her comb is very shrivelled and she is still sleeping in the nest box. I can't put my finger on it - she is active and vocal as usual and over her molt with a fine set of shiny mahogany feathers - but I sense something isn't right.
Have you considered that she might have had a stroke but has since re-taught herself to walk right and regained her balance?

Shriveled combs are not at unusual in the winter and mean very little to me at this time of year because of that. Check out Sydney's comb from back on Dec 18.
20211218_224646.jpg

There was nothing wrong with her other than winter.

Have you considered that she might have had a stroke but has since re-taught herself to walk right and regained her balance?

Shriveled combs are not at unusual in the winter and mean very little to me at this time of year because of that. Check out Sydney's comb from back on Dec 18.
View attachment 2969602

There was nothing wrong with her other than winter.
Yes I do think a stroke and recovery is a possibility. It is all very odd. And I am not over-indexed on her comb - Diana is the same and I am happy neither of them are laying eggs.
Hopefully she is fine.

Back
Top Bottom