I have 2 comments to make before you build the rest of the coop. (will make a nice coop!)

1) The directions for the door are a bit flawed. As you see, you DO need a header. However, since they measured 36" BEFORE accounting for the extra side studs to support the header, their door opening is actually only 32 3/4 " wide. So, whatever size door you want, be sure to allow for the width of the 2 extra studs (1 each side) in the opening.

2) NEVER screw metal or plastic corrugated roofing on the low part of the curve. Even with roofing screws, it is asking for trouble (leaks) sooner than it should. Use these spacers , and screw through the HIGH point of the corrugation:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Suntuf-...Closure-Strips-6-Pack-92770/100067957#overlay

They go under roofing panel @ roof member, screw through panel, through plastic 'spacer', and into roof support member.

A couple final comments:
1) I don't know where in VA you live, but if in the mountains or somewhere where it gets cold, I would suggest putting either a sheet of plywood (painted/stained) under the metal roofing, or a thin insulation (the silver-colored bubble stuff would be fine. REASONING: In winter, moisture from the chickens will condense on the cold metal roof and 'drip down', in the summer, the metal roof will heat up, creating a hotter than needed coop in the dog days of summer. Either the plywood or thin insulation will help with this.

2) As suggested that you can add windows: I definitely would add 2, one on each side, for cross ventilation and added light.

3) Low ventilation in the back for better air flow...in low (cooler air)...warm moist air rises up and out the top back. (i.e. vents low below the high riser for roof)

4) Consider orienting the high part of the roof the front instead of the back, unless you are going to put gutters on. Otherwise you will be walking through a sheet of rain/water whenever it storms & you need to enter/exit the coop.

Okay, that's my 2 cents💰, for what ever 2 cents is worth these days.🤷‍♀️
These are great comments! I was noticing the sides had no overhang, so if those are left open for ventilation, rain will blow in like crazy, won't it? @Chicks In VA

Rub a Dub Dub

We have been chatting about when chickens feel most vulnerable, roosting time for example. I also think that dust bath time is another. So imagine my joy when Betty decided to take a bath today. I was watching on the camera when she walked over to it and dug a hole right in front of it. This will be the closest dust bathing video you might ever see. She was still bathing after 1/2 an hour. She must be feeling pretty dirty. 😆

OR: ( more likely), needing a 'Calgon moment' what with the stress of moving and getting a new roommate - one that doesn't think she needs a roommate!

See, this is why I need prefabs, that post made me anxious and concreted to me that I am not and never will be a builder of anything coopish 🤭
Sorry @BY Bob and friends, I know that prefabs aren’t the recommended housing choice 😕
Oh, no worries! 🤗Ask me how I know most of these things.....trial & error!!!:th:lau:lau

Trust me, even with inexperience and nervousness, your coop will STILL be better than a prefab! 🐓🐓The chickens don't care if things aren't perfect, nor perfectly square. However, prefabs are cheap & flimsy: they will care if it leaks🚰 badly and/or if something breaks 🦝into the flimsy coop!

I have been 20 pages behind for a week, just too busy to sit and read more than a few pages here and there.

We have had crazy amounts of rain this week. They front gutter has a crack in the join where it begins its downspout journey and started flooding the rose bed against the house. The rosebed the chickens spend most of their time in lately. Spred a bag of wood pellets around the front yard to deal with some of the mud. We have a small local backyard farm store here and they fill feed bags of loose hay for 2.50, fun for the chickens to dig and also helps with the mud.

They also sell feed in bulk so I have been buying a small bag of growers pellets and chick crumble and mixing it with their layer feed. I have been feeding a wet mash/fermented feed. Just trying to boost the protein a bit. Feather loss seems to be slowing at last, Rosie is looking better, if a bit thin.
View attachment 2951710
I’m 300 pages behind again… :oops:

@RoyalChick

I would like too have asked you in private but can't for some reason.

Did you say you did proof reading? I wanted to join a local book club but probably me being silly I felt really awkward. Plus I found the subjects given I really couldn't relate too. I guess I will never write but i would still like to have a bash
I’m 300 pages behind but I wanted to chip in; if you want to write, go for it! Even if you are just doing it for yourself and not necessarily looking for a career change, definitely have a crack at it. I’m enjoying my drawing again and learning new things with each portrait. I also like writing and have done a bit of fan fiction, and I was doing it for me and not anyone else. Go for it! :thumbsup

Back
Top Bottom