I am fortunate also I have Guelph University Vet school about 2 hrs away. And a whole plethora of exotic animal vets nearby, and Toronto Zoo uses many of the specialty vets so avian care is not an issue - cost is tho!!
Cost is the norm
Rosie had Russ out and was brushing him earlier. She came in needing my dish soap because he was covered in dander and decided it was time for his first good bath of the year. She wanted me to sit outside with her while she bathed him so I brought out my camera. He loves baths, but does not like his mane washed and hates his face washed. She outsmarted him eventually to wash his mane, but just wiped his face down with a clean rag.
He's a good boy :)

And so to sleep...
Dotty has her head under her wing so I haven't pulled her off the roost to join Minnie. I was in two minds about that but Minnie is asleep too.
The little Hooligans have put themselves to bed the same place as yesterday and they get up there the hard way (ignoring the ramps) and Bernadette seems to have learned how to do that just fine. I think the only real issue with it is if Dotty makes a habit of flying over before dawn to beat the crap out of their fluffy butts. I will try and go in a bit earlier tomorrow morning to make sure it doesn't get out of hand.
And I am exhausted from all the drama so I am off to bed too.
😴
:hugs I hope you have a refreshing sleep

And so to sleep...
Dotty has her head under her wing so I haven't pulled her off the roost to join Minnie. I was in two minds about that but Minnie is asleep too.
The little Hooligans have put themselves to bed the same place as yesterday and they get up there the hard way (ignoring the ramps) and Bernadette seems to have learned how to do that just fine. I think the only real issue with it is if Dotty makes a habit of flying over before dawn to beat the crap out of their fluffy butts. I will try and go in a bit earlier tomorrow morning to make sure it doesn't get out of hand.
And I am exhausted from all the drama so I am off to bed too.
😴
I will look for an update tomorrow, 💖

You could try some egg yolk mixed in. Just the yolk I’ve found is the main attraction and I can get almost anyone to eat with that and starter if you have a little left from the babies
I agree, when Sophia went through a very heavy molt last year and wouldn't eat, lost so much weight and feathers... I was told to feed her egg yolks and scrambled eggs. I was too worried to feed raw eggs, but did whip up scrambled eggs daily for her for a few weeks.

Now I am more comfortable feeding raw eggs (Orbs of Power), and would comfortably feed that to an ill chicken.

Brrrrr what happened to my lovely +30C weather from last week??

It's a frosty morning today, but it should be better this afternoon. I better get cracking and get morning chores done and off to work!

Frosty grass this morning.
paddock_live_1652867005530.jpg

Blanche can always be counted on to pose for pics 💖
IMG_20220516_173315.jpg

Hope everyone made it through the night and that you got a good night sleep. Worrying is exhausting.

Depending how Minnie is and if you have time during the day, you can have her out a bit to hang out with Dottie ?
I've become a firm believer to try and keep up sick chicken's spirit so that they want to get better. (If they have something that can be cured🤞).
Totally agree. She spent most of yesterday out with her tribe. I only put her back in hospital when she crawled off into a corner and sort of hunkered down.
I will do the same again today. And remember the hospital bed is in the coop so Dotty and the others are around and do perch just a few feet away for a natter.

Moved the littles outside to the play area yesterday afternoon....
20220517_175208.jpg
Little darlings soon found a way out...
20220517_175321.jpg
And taught the rest. Pics ended there as I called the house phone to get the boys out to help coral them. Had my senior grab some scratch. The adults had started my way before the kids got to me, but floodgates happened when MS (middle son) brought a handful with him. He doesn't typically feed them, but Twirp was trying to eat out of his hand. Adults surrounded chicks, some stares, 1 peck, then littles ran for bushes and me. Started catching, next thing I knew: pile of chicks in my hands to bring back to coop (I have small hands, but all 5 squished together without flight attempts: wish I'd had the kids take a pic of that). Fencing now set up so littles can roam in the coop. Jess paid them another visit prior to the escape act. We'll see how they do today with the ranging stuff and how she does with the extras out and about. Her littles were curious about the others so...?

Back
Top Bottom