This is oddly reassuring to me. Even with a bum leg Bernadette was able to escape.

Me too. I am like 60 pages behind but saw the notification. Yes, it's hard to watch but she made it! Wondering about why this behaviour persists in chickens, as the Littles obviously know their place (for now, while they're little) it occurred to me this may have an evolutionary benefit of good predator training, all the evasive maneuvers they learn.

I have. The friendly ones do tend to go off on their own frequently. Now I will say that Betty goes off on her own frequently but not to see me.

The thing about Betty is she was full grown when she came here. The others who are tamed, will not let her come and spend time with me. If I'm out there they all cluster around and if I would try to tame Betty with some food, they would all push her out of the way. It is essentially impossible to sneak for past Aurora and now that she is in charge, the tribe comes with her.

In Betty's defense, she knows her name. She comes when called just like Phyllis. So if she is off on her own, I can call her to me. I just don't know if we will ever have the opportunity to develop a relationship where she is comfortable eating out of my hand like everyone else.
She needs some alone time training with you, or a situation where there is a divider that you are in the middle of and can bar access through yet reach both sides, like the doorway between the Cluckle Hut and the Fluffy Hut?
I sometimes use my arm and hold off one Buckeye in order to get a treat to one other...Today I wanted them to all get equal calcium mash balls, and all the Buckeyes were eager for them, it has been three days. They have sort of figured out the times when I dole them out one at a time and everyone gets their turn by name. But sometimes an enterprising hen (Popcorn) will try to grab it out of my hand before the other can get it, especially when the other is a little slower/hesitant, as Hazel generally is. The arm barring the way worked, and was understood.

I have. The friendly ones do tend to go off on their own frequently. Now I will say that Betty goes off on her own frequently but not to see me.

The thing about Betty is she was full grown when she came here. The others who are tamed, will not let her come and spend time with me. If I'm out there they all cluster around and if I would try to tame Betty with some food, they would all push her out of the way. It is essentially impossible to sneak for past Aurora and now that she is in charge, the tribe comes with her.

In Betty's defense, she knows her name. She comes when called just like Phyllis. So if she is off on her own, I can call her to me. I just don't know if we will ever have the opportunity to develop a relationship where she is comfortable eating out of my hand like everyone else.
I have the same worry with Marty, but I just catch her up and hold her till she stops struggling, then when she quiets down I release her. It is a way of desensitization which I use with young horses. Works with chickens too apparently!

I have noticed recently she will hang around me a bit and yesterday she came to my office when I was just sitting relaxing. I snuck her a few treats before the greedy gobblers mobbed us hahaha.

I don't expect her to be as friendly as the others but I am working on it 😊

Oh hey right it's Saturday woohoo!

Missy says hi everyone!
IMG_20220520_082903.jpg

Me too. I am like 60 pages behind but saw the notification. Yes, it's hard to watch but she made it! Wondering about why this behaviour persists in chickens, as the Littles obviously know their place (for now, while they're little) it occurred to me this may have an evolutionary benefit of good predator training, all the evasive maneuvers they learn.
Good thought. I think Bernadette has definitely learned ‘dive for cover’ which is great!

Hey Bernadette looked well able to get out of the way 💖

And she seems pretty mobile, I would let her keep moving and interacting with the group, she looks pretty good.
Yup. She is free to come and go as she chooses. All that cage stuff you see is protection for the Hooligans - creating a safe space - it does not confine them.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom