I really don’t like to administer medication on my special hen (Rocks-Anne) but I have to get rid of those sticky fleas that she has again. She doesn’t like her face lubricated. I don’t like bothering her. :hit:( But it’s done. Yes she went away mad at me!
What are you using?

In the past for wild bird rescues I have use injectable ivermectin. Kills lice and mites immediately. It always shocks me how wild birds can be just loaded with them!!!

I am tempted to dust the swallows nests with lice powder to control any lice they may carry in here to prevent my chickens from getting infested.

Stray thought, middle of the night, bear with me.

As a toddler, my sister had crossed eyes. The doctor had us patch the good eye so she had to use the weak eye to strengthen the muscles. After a couple of weeks the good eye crossed and the bad eye was straight. Then the patch got shifted to the other eye. It got to the point that the patch changed eyes every day. That's how they figured out the muscles between the eyes were too tight (took a couple of years) so they did surgery to tighten the outer edge muscles whilst loosening the inner edge muscles. After that, her eyes straightened out so both were straight (took some time on this part too). Not suggesting surgery, but is it possible she has something along those lines with an imbalance between the muscles connecting between the hips? Needing the support leg to shift from one side to the other like the eye patch did? Or almost an inversion of spraddle legs? middle of the night wake up stray thoughts go in odd directions...
Interesting. 🤔

What are you using?

In the past for wild bird rescues I have use injectable ivermectin. Kills lice and mites immediately. It always shocks me how wild birds can be just loaded with them!!!

I am tempted to dust the swallows nests with lice powder to control any lice they may carry in here to prevent my chickens from getting infested.
Mixture of Vaseline and kerosene applied directly to the bugs. :sick

Missed you guys too. Sorry to hear about Lilly 😭 I will go back and read up, she was a beautiful old lady and will be missed 💜
Ummm, I think feb, Betty was settled in nicely.
So Sansa had already passed them. I'll write up something tonight for you my friend with some details and photos.

Stray thought, middle of the night, bear with me.

As a toddler, my sister had crossed eyes. The doctor had us patch the good eye so she had to use the weak eye to strengthen the muscles. After a couple of weeks the good eye crossed and the bad eye was straight. Then the patch got shifted to the other eye. It got to the point that the patch changed eyes every day. That's how they figured out the muscles between the eyes were too tight (took a couple of years) so they did surgery to tighten the outer edge muscles whilst loosening the inner edge muscles. After that, her eyes straightened out so both were straight (took some time on this part too). Not suggesting surgery, but is it possible she has something along those lines with an imbalance between the muscles connecting between the hips? Needing the support leg to shift from one side to the other like the eye patch did? Or almost an inversion of spraddle legs? middle of the night wake up stray thoughts go in odd directions...
Wow. I am not sure exactly, but when the vet did her exam it was clear it was paralysis which is almost always a nerve issue rather than a muscle issue.
That said, I think both her legs are weak making it difficult for her to jump up.
Honestly I am not sure what else to do for her apart from the vitamins and letting her learn how to live with it. If she has to go fast she uses both wings and both legs and sort of skuttles along the floor. Not very chicken-like, but nonethless effective!

Wow. I am not sure exactly, but when the vet did her exam it was clear it was paralysis which is almost always a nerve issue rather than a muscle issue.
That said, I think both her legs are weak making it difficult for her to jump up.
Honestly I am not sure what else to do for her apart from the vitamins and letting her learn how to live with it. If she has to go fast she uses both wings and both legs and sort of skuttles along the floor. Not very chicken-like, but nonethless effective!
You are doing the right thing, animals adapt way faster and better than humans do.

Pony Sunday... It's a dreary chilly drizzly day here. The chickens opted to stay inside, and I bet the horses would like to come inside also if I let them!

Truly and Reenie, I should have put their rainsheets on these ladies. I will keep an eye on them if they get shivering I will bring them in.
IMG_20220522_110632.jpg

Sally is looking good and still has some winter hair so she is fine.
IMG_20220522_110658.jpg

Lulu never seems to mind the chilly weather, that apple tree behind her will have somee nice apples this Fall.
IMG_20220522_110716.jpg

Back
Top Bottom