I need some reassurance. Lulu is developing a comb and wattles more than Bernadette and much more than Bella who doesn’t seem to possess either.
She is more zippy than the other Hooligans but I have been putting that down to her being a Legbar - she definitely likes to fly.
She is chest bumping Bernadette but all three of them are chest bumping each other.
She is now 13 weeks old (@BY Bob I must have miscounted weeks previously - they are much older than yours).
Is there anything that says boy about Lulu?

View attachment 3166865View attachment 3166866View attachment 3166868
I'm not seeing the rooster feathers. She may start laying sooner than the other 2. I'm also not seeing the stance. Its still possible, I suppose, but.....

Well, as much as I love my 2 remaining cochin girls I have to say they are driving me crazy and soon something is going to have to give. These 2 have been constantly broody which really does not bother me, I can deal with broodiness. The killer is both of them have became for no reason the last 2 months egg eaters. Be it theirs when they are laying, or anyone else's eggs they come across before I collect them if they spot it they eat it. I cannot have that. They have layer feed available and calcium so there is no good reason for this. I'm terrified the rest of the flock will pick up on this behavior. Besides being pampered pets we all know I have chickens for eggs. I'm loosing at least 2 or 3 a day from them now and that is with me running out almost hourly looking for eggs. I cannot keep doing this. Option 1 that has been suggested to me is to cull them. I really do not want to do that, I'd rather rehome them if it comes to that. Then again I do not want to put this problem off on someone else either. I'm going to have to figure out something in the next month or so. The hooligans are quickly approaching laying age and that just means more eggs for them to potentially eat.
Modify the nest, so the eggs will roll out away from the hens. :idunno

What is "Tax" May I ask?
You should read the summary @BY Bob made for this thread as it explains tax.
Basically, to keep the thread on topic (our chickens) every time we stray off topic we have to pay tax in the form of a picture of chickens. There are some nuances (some transgressions require pictures of more than one chicken!) but basically that is what tax is all about.
Here is Bob's primer for the thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...es-stories-of-our-flock.1286630/post-25896370

Ouch!
I have read that having a lot of ceramic eggs in the nests teaches them not to do it because a mighty peck on a ceramic egg yields nothing but a sore beak!
I have no idea if it is true - but it is a cheap solve so may be worth trying!
I don't have ceramic eggs but I have golf balls. I placed them in their favorite spot where they are stealing eggs. It has taught them nothing, they still peck the crap out of the golf balls until they find a real egg. Also the golf balls laying around encourages the rest of my "I'm going broody at the drop of a hat" girls to in fact go broody. I'm really at a total loss of what to do with them. Like I said, I love them, they are beautiful, I've worked hard to make them friendly but egg eating is just a huge no no. It is like the line that the boys must never cross and that is flogging a person. The hens can do what ever they please just NOT EAT EGGS.

Off topic comments are taxed on this thread with pics of your chickens.
SHRA tax (also covered in the synopsis) @RoyalChick , you're too fast today!

20220626_144801.jpg

Back
Top Bottom