Option E frozen h2o in nest box is a great idea!!

My big issue is in the evening when everyone roosts for the night, that side of the barn is just hot hot hot.... I now have the box fan in there - was looking for a portable AC unit but they are so darn expensive.

I think if I do what @BY Bob did with an awning it will cut down on sunlight streaming in and heating things up - and keep the box fan in there.

I think heat is far worse that cold in many cases.
If you can freeze a big block of ice (re: gallon jug) and put just in front of fan, that will help too. But I agree, an awning will help keep the area/side of barn from getting as hot as it does.

(FYI: I keep a few gallon jugs in freezer so can swap them out if needed. Just remember to not fill completely full & 'squish' the sides in before screwing the cap on, so it doesn't burst the jug as it freezes.)

I have no pony pics yet today, but here’s two from last time that I was there: D5D97817-6C66-48A5-B75B-33A2EC510645.jpeg 5C03230A-F2B1-4B64-93B3-90EC74E3A9FE.jpeg

Sadly we still have cages here. Free range chicken eggs can be had for $3.99 on sale. Otherwise around $5.
For anyone interested, in the US ‘free range’ doesn’t meant what it sounds like. It means there is an open door. Most of the chickens never make it through the crush to go outside.
You want to look for the phrase ‘pasture raised’ which means they actually spend most of their day outdoors on pasture.
Better yet you want to look for the ‘certified humane’ label which is independently verified. Picture below.
Incidentally a European study showed that caged was more humane than cage free because cage free was just a big shed and chickens suffered more bullying and cannibalism and also more ammonia fumes because they are more difficult to clean.
This all comes from a National Geographic article which I can’t lay my hands on right now.
I have found two sources of pasture raised eggs near me (not counting my lovely Princesses of course). One is a local Farm who come to the Sunday Farmers Market, and the other are these in the picture who seem to be getting traction with distribution to grocery store chains. I also noticed yesterday a sign on the road for eggs and honey which means someone in the neighborhood also has chickens! After the holiday I am going to see if I can introduce myself.
621577D1-BC83-4AD0-9441-974F9BF6D280.jpeg
AD4C4BAA-D03C-42C3-AC65-343EF366D2F5.jpeg

For anyone interested, in the US ‘free range’ doesn’t meant what it sounds like. It means there is an open door. Most of the chickens never make it through the crush to go outside.
You want to look for the phrase ‘pasture raised’ which means they actually spend most of their day outdoors on pasture.
Better yet you want to look for the ‘certified humane’ label which is independently verified. Picture below.
Incidentally a European study showed that caged was more humane than cage free because cage free was just a big shed and chickens suffered more bullying and cannibalism and also more ammonia fumes because they are more difficult to clean.
This all comes from a National Geographic article which I can’t lay my hands on right now.
I have found two sources of pasture raised eggs near me (not counting my lovely Princesses of course). One is a local Farm who come to the Sunday Farmers Market, and the other are these in the picture who seem to be getting traction with distribution to grocery store chains. I also noticed yesterday a sign on the road for eggs and honey which means someone in the neighborhood also has chickens! After the holiday I am going to see if I can introduce myself.
View attachment 3172636View attachment 3172639
Yes, I think I read the same article.
Eye opening what 'free range' actually means! Agreed, the Humanely Raised label has some important requirements to insure a reasonably good accommodations and some interactions with their 'humans'

View attachment 3172636View attachment 3172639
This isn't the article I previously read, but it does give a bit of clarity on some of the food labels used out there.
If you are not a subscriber, you can read 3 free articles a month

The heat made Gorda sick so I bathed her in cold water and have her sitting on a wet towel in the floor. She's eating and drinking now but when I found her in the coop she was almost unresponsive and couldn't raise her headView attachment 3172369
Good save! Poor baby. :hugs

Back
Top Bottom