For anyone interested, in the US ‘free range’ doesn’t meant what it sounds like. It means there is an open door. Most of the chickens never make it through the crush to go outside.
You want to look for the phrase ‘pasture raised’ which means they actually spend most of their day outdoors on pasture.
Better yet you want to look for the ‘certified humane’ label which is independently verified. Picture below.
Incidentally a European study showed that caged was more humane than cage free because cage free was just a big shed and chickens suffered more bullying and cannibalism and also more ammonia fumes because they are more difficult to clean.
This all comes from a National Geographic article which I can’t lay my hands on right now.
I have found two sources of pasture raised eggs near me (not counting my lovely Princesses of course). One is a local Farm who come to the Sunday Farmers Market, and the other are these in the picture who seem to be getting traction with distribution to grocery store chains. I also noticed yesterday a sign on the road for eggs and honey which means someone in the neighborhood also has chickens! After the holiday I am going to see if I can introduce myself.
View attachment 3172636View attachment 3172639
All I know, is my chooks are raised in a large yard, big coop and lots of love from me!

I've told you all for almost 2 weeks now that I pretty much knew Ezzie was a boy. There was no crowing yet though so irrationally I held out a tiny bit of hope I was wrong. I went out to collect eggs 15 minutes ago and as I'm bent over removing a egg from under one of the cochins I heard it. The unmistakable sound of a young boy finding his voice. I turn to look and there in the corner of Dirt's stall staring at me are all 7 hooligans. For a split second I was hoping it was one of the red chickens. It was, Ezzie stood up straight, flapped his wings and let out another crow. He was very proud of himself, and to be honest so am I. He did not sound like he was dying, for a first attempt he let out a very good one.

She's is such an awkward girl she's out of focus
20220630_150852.jpg

Sencond time she moved as I took this picture :th
20220630_150905.jpg

I've told you all for almost 2 weeks now that I pretty much knew Ezzie was a boy. There was no crowing yet though so irrationally I held out a tiny bit of hope I was wrong. I went out to collect eggs 15 minutes ago and as I'm bent over removing a egg from under one of the cochins I heard it. The unmistakable sound of a young boy finding his voice. I turn to look and there in the corner of Dirt's stall staring at me are all 7 hooligans. For a split second I was hoping it was one of the red chickens. It was, Ezzie stood up straight, flapped his wings and let out another crow. He was very proud of himself, and to be honest so am I. He did not sound like he was dying, for a first attempt he let out a very good one.
:th

Oh I had such high hopes !!!!

Well, win some, lose some.... 💖

Wish you were closer I would make an offer for the wee fella 🤗

You go Ezzie! Or are you now Ezzi?

Well another day and the run not done....

BUT - I did get my car running 🤗

My uncle pulled the old battery out for me, I ran in town and got a new one. He plugged it all in for me and voila! She started right up. The breaks are a bit sketchy sounding as she has sat there for over a year, but I too her for a spin around the paddock and other than my proximity sensors not working when I back up Ol Bessy is running pretty good for a 2008 Fusion!

Get an oil change and some insurance back on her and I will be good go to drive her to work rather than the truck.

Ahhhhh job done! Now I am just chillaxing with the chickies 😁

16568755838804819173792758766565.jpg

Blanche is telling me to get the treats, I have neglected them enough today!

Back
Top Bottom