Hanging out with Ash this evening

20220703_201455.jpg

Oh my… I think I’ve been gone for over a week, and I doubt there’s going to be any catching up in the near future. I’m sincerely hoping everyone is doing ok, especially everyone facing Weather and life extremes. ❤️ I have an unfortunate update (if no one has mentioned it here?) on the two little orphaned Goatlings I brought home. They didn’t make it and both passed away that Saturday. Sunday DH and I buried them together a little ways off in the woods from the trailer. I have been feeling quite down since then, and dealing with what is for us “extreme heat” in the mid 30’s Celsius, and swinging back into the 12-16C range with torrential rains, which although quite normal for spring and fall here, isn’t for summer.

So long and short of the story here is I’m struggling quite a bit right now, and might not be on quite as much as I would like. On a positive note, I’ve started standing up some trusses on the house (completely in my own no less!). They crazy weather is delaying haying, so has bought me perhaps a little more time in constructing a tossed together pallet goat shelter, but it also delays my attempt to shimmy up onto the trailer roof to attach the roofing stuff to our RV!

66CB4195-A23D-4E7C-934E-DB543DE0EC71.jpeg

Some pony Sunday Pics to share in the meantime:
5A8418A2-BAFA-481E-845D-63622CB366FF.jpeg

“OMGosh look at that rack! Hunni stop, back up! We have to get pictures of him! Oh wow, there’s two” The keys to hunting on the farm here 1: wear plaid, not camo 2: always say “Hi deer, you’re such a pretty deer” while approaching 3: drive the loudest rattling diesel vehicle you can (makes you blend right in!) yes, that’s one very chubby 4point buck!
D8B39C6C-0CA0-407A-8078-2179D548BC04.jpeg

And some forest goat time, because when it’s crazy hot the deepest nearby shade is over here and it keeps everyone safe from my goat shelter building activities:
1F883C0E-3476-4507-9DAC-D41ACAC4E8A0.jpeg

10278FA9-184E-4EC4-A3DD-C9D7C578688A.jpeg

Even little Ciaran has learned to appreciate a lay down in the nice long cool grass!
8C1C92BA-C618-4184-9D7E-6CBF822358CA.jpeg

Thank you, I flew safely (another perfect landing. I know how much $ landing gear costs to replace) ! :D
Xzit update: she’s still setting, but all her feed was gone (so she’s eating at least) she doesn’t want to leave her egg. Hen-Rietta seems slow and sitting around quite a bit. But I’m not too worried about it yet.
Oh I bet it's expensive ha!

Well I guess we will just have to wait for Ms Xzit to see what happens. If Ms Hen-Rietta goes broody will you try more eggs?

If so do what I did, I put a few eggs on the side with hens names and dates laid. Them when I got four eggs I wanted I put them under Henny Penny all one the same day, they all then hatched same day 🤗

Oh my… I think I’ve been gone for over a week, and I doubt there’s going to be any catching up in the near future. I’m sincerely hoping everyone is doing ok, especially everyone facing Weather and life extremes. ❤️ I have an unfortunate update (if no one has mentioned it here?) on the two little orphaned Goatlings I brought home. They didn’t make it and both passed away that Saturday. Sunday DH and I buried them together a little ways off in the woods from the trailer. I have been feeling quite down since then, and dealing with what is for us “extreme heat” in the mid 30’s Celsius, and swinging back into the 12-16C range with torrential rains, which although quite normal for spring and fall here, isn’t for summer.

So long and short of the story here is I’m struggling quite a bit right now, and might not be on quite as much as I would like. On a positive note, I’ve started standing up some trusses on the house (completely in my own no less!). They crazy weather is delaying haying, so has bought me perhaps a little more time in constructing a tossed together pallet goat shelter, but it also delays my attempt to shimmy up onto the trailer roof to attach the roofing stuff to our RV!

View attachment 3173548
Some pony Sunday Pics to share in the meantime:
View attachment 3173526
“OMGosh look at that rack! Hunni stop, back up! We have to get pictures of him! Oh wow, there’s two” The keys to hunting on the farm here 1: wear plaid, not camo 2: always say “Hi deer, you’re such a pretty deer” while approaching 3: drive the loudest rattling diesel vehicle you can (makes you blend right in!) yes, that’s one very chubby 4point buck!View attachment 3173529
And some forest goat time, because when it’s crazy hot the deepest nearby shade is over here and it keeps everyone safe from my goat shelter building activities:
View attachment 3173539
View attachment 3173543
Even little Ciaran has learned to appreciate a lay down in the nice long cool grass!View attachment 3173545
Awesome pics Kris 💖 and the house is looking great.

I am sooooo glad you have your kiddos to keep you grounded though 💖💖💖💖💖💖

That is completely adorable and also hilarious!
I can hear you have a load of fireworks as I do here.
Here they can have fireworks on Canada Day and day after from dusk Till 10pm....

Of course the morons around here pay no attention to the bylaw, Canada Day it was fireworks till midnight, last night till 11;30, and tonight till 10:30... I had my horses in last night and Canada Day AND day before (just in case), but I kicked them out tonight, fireworks had them running about, I almost went out to put them in when the fireworks stopped.

It's miserable for the farmers with livestock spooking (like my horses and chickies past 2 nights), and we have a lot of retired veterans here with PTSD - so last year the bylaw went into effect. No more random fireworks, they can only have them Victoria Day (May 24 long weekend here) and day after, and Canada Day and day after. That's it no other times...

But a couple weeks ago some ding-a-ling had them spooked my neighbours cattle and horses, and so my neighbour called police of course. The fireworks Neighbour is all 'p1$$y' now and bad blood with farmer neighbour - oi boy.....

People just don't care.

Meanwhile my neighbours, those with PTSD, and I deal with the trouble - in my case horses freaking out, and chickies flying around the hen house ☹️

Correct. Sorry, didn't mean to be so cryptic. Also, most heritage BR girls have smaller combs. They were developed in NE, after all, with cold winters. I'll see if I have any pics that show the difference...not sure if I have a good head shot of one of the heritage girls....I'll edit this post if I do have suitable pics.
That explains Sydney's small size compared to expectations. I had planned for her to be Hattie sized but it just isn't so.

Awwww so sweet!

Lady Featherington is going to be a gorgeous big hen.
She is something else. She has an interesting personality from what I have been able to tell so far. She is pretty active for a larger lady and flies surprisingly well as you will see in another post tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom