I love my fake Barred Rocks! :love
Does she look fake to you?
890BDD3D-CF90-479B-855F-53900A158CDE.jpeg

Just want to wish all y’all American friends a happy Fourth of July! May the fireworks all be far enough away from your fur and feather babies for a peaceful night for them, and all your events go smoothly. Take pride in your country and what makes it great, despite the challenges.

I am up, idiots having fireworks here, scaring the bejezees out of the horses and chickies... There has been so much trouble with fireworks they are now banned other then the day of and day after Victoria Day and Canada Day. And from dusk Till 10pm...

Past that now and still going on. There have been so many issue with livestock being scared, and we have a lot of veterans in the area many with PTSD, that the township is trying to limit fireworks. But people just don't get it.

Likely they will do a complete ban on them, one of the farmers had his cattle scared a couple weeks ago with someone having them illegally. That farmer carries a lot of weight in this township.

I hate fireworks, as a child my parents brought me to a fireworks display one landed in the crowd, exploding killing someone, it was pure panic and to this day I detest them.

I just checked my chickies they are milling about in the hen house... Scared. The horses are inside and they are bothered by them too. Silly people don't care.

Guess I will give it a few more minutes and if they don't stop will get some photo evidence for the bylaw officer.... I hate to go and see the animals unless they are endangered, I want them to just settle...
Totally understandable why you hate fireworks. What a scary experience for a child!

Maybe for one day we all post pictures of every chicken of ours that have ever appeared on this thread. What does everyone think? Any other ideas.
I like it!

Last edited:
Just want to wish all y’all American friends a happy Fourth of July! May the fireworks all be far enough away from your fur and feather babies for a peaceful night for them, and all your events go smoothly. Take pride in your country and what makes it great, despite the challenges.
Thanks, Kris! Happy belated Canada Day to you!

That is How it Should Be

Once Aurora relented and let everyone in, roosting went quite smoothly. How about this everyone!

Phyllis:
Hmmm, 🤔where should I roost tonight? (looking all over - at all of her options)

I think I'll roost down there...(as she heads to the far end of the long roost)

Should I face this way..... (as she faces towards the camera)

Or should I face that way...(as she turns around)

Hmm, maybe the other way ????...(as she half turns back..)

No, No, that way was better..... ( as she resumes her 'back towards the camera position and settles down for the night)

Oh, no, here comes the big girl.....(Watching Hattie hop onto the big roost and start walking towards her)

Maybe if I ignore her and pretend to preen, she'll leave me alone (as she immediately starts preening vigorously)

Ahh, yes! it wor... darn, here she comes again! (as Phyllis turns a bit so she is facing away from Hattie)

Geez, what's a girl gotta do to have some peace so she can get her beauty rest! 🙄

Okay, I really have to get to bed...but, since it is technically Tuesday...a 'two-fer from this evening:
IMG_1288.JPG

IMG_1291.JPG

What, Mom, why would we need to use the other nest box?? We all fit...Sis, 'n me, and the 9 kids, no problem. Just nobody better have to get up to pee in the night, is all!

🙄 Really, why would they all cram into one nest box when they have 2???🙄 :confused:

They do this periodically, but I have no idea why. They really are 'co-broodies'. The minute one of the two goes broody, the other one does within 24 hours. They always pick nest boxes side by side. (I then move them to this broody hut.) Though they sit on their own nest while incubating, they often either use the same next box, or snuggle together in the corner of the tractor with all the babies once hatched, and the 'kids' seem to run to either mom if they need a 'warm-up'. The only times this year that I have seen them use separate boxes was the really really hot day. It is mind boggling how they cram in the one box, but it is also kinda sweet, too!

Back
Top Bottom