Yes. I do not use saline, I use plain water for eye injuries. Not that I have had to treat a lot. If I get time I will try and find a study or reference on saline vs water for eye injuries. Maybe @RoyalChick could help with the research.

I know that I learned it someplace that was definitive for me. I just can't remember where.
I got nothing. Zero academic literature on the issue - for any avian species.
Some vet sites talk about flushing eyes to get rid of dirt or sooth injury and they all recommend sterile saline.
From physiological first principles saline makes more sense as it will be isotonic to the corneal cells and therefore not contribute to swelling. The isotonic nature of saline is true for all cells - not just mammalian cells.

With chicks the less you intervene the better. Give it day or two. How old are your chicks and what are their conditions? Broody mama, incubator, purchased through mail/store and what’s your setup? PM or link an Emergency/Injuries post and we can advise
There more Readily. Best wishes, and yes they are a worry, but worth every bit of it!
My chicks are 10 days old today. They came from a breeder, Alchemist Farms, and were shipped as day old chicks. These are my very first chickens. They are in a pack n play brooder with a heat plate. I started them on paper towels till I was sure they were all pooping and knew what and where the food was. I switched to rural king coffee ground litter about 4 days ago. I did not post in the ER Thread as there were multiple posts fairly recently that addressed the identical issue. The responses were quite varied though so I came here and I am so glad I did.

Here is what I have done so far:
I used warm water with a soft cloth around the eye to remove the small bit of loose litter that I could see had stuck there and use a tiny amt of Neosporin without pain reliever around it. I am sure at this point I probably shouldn’t have done the Neosporin and will cease that entirely.

Update: Today the swelling has reduced significantly. Her eye is still only partially open. She is active, eating, and drinking just sticking to under the heat plate more then she was. So far it appears she is recovering quickly.

Plan going forward based on links and advice from you fine folks - I will observe and only disturb her if any more litter accumulates then I will flush the area with distilled warm water only.

Thank you and everyone else that helped and sent great links! I really appreciate it so very much.

My chicks are 10 days old today. They came from a breeder, Alchemist Farms, and were shipped as day old chicks. These are my very first chickens. They are in a pack n play brooder with a heat plate. I started them on paper towels till I was sure they were all pooping and knew what and where the food was. I switched to rural king coffee ground litter about 4 days ago. I did not post in the ER Thread as there were multiple posts fairly recently that addressed the identical issue. The responses were quite varied though so I came here and I am so glad I did.

Here is what I have done so far:
I used warm water with a soft cloth around the eye to remove the small bit of loose litter that I could see had stuck there and use a tiny amt of Neosporin without pain reliever around it. I am sure at this point I probably shouldn’t have done the Neosporin and will cease that entirely.

Update: Today the swelling has reduced significantly. Her eye is still only partially open. She is active, eating, and drinking just sticking to under the heat plate more then she was. So far it appears she is recovering quickly.

Plan going forward based on links and advice from you fine folks - I will observe and only disturb her if any more litter accumulates then I will flush the area with distilled warm water only.

Thank you and everyone else that helped and sent great links! I really appreciate it so very much.
Seems like a solid plan to me. :thumbsup

She likely will. Unfortunately
I am keeping a real close eye on her, this time I will start her on TLC immediately and hopefully she will not be as stressed.

Blanche is miserable but she is eating so I am not as worried about her. The two grey ladies are molting heavily but seem to be handling it ok, I was esp worried as they just stopped being broody! Crazy birds!

Back
Top Bottom