I just took these 2 video's a few minutes ago and I'm very happy. I refrained from posting a few days ago but I thought I was loosing Daisy. She stopped eating and drinking and all her friends were gathered around her. I truly thought they were saying good bye to her and I brought her inside with me. Bringing her inside into the air conditioning I was to soon realize she was dealing with heat stress. While it was not miserably hot it was terribly humid. She stayed inside the rest of the evening and the entire next day as it was another humid miserable day. I was able to get her to drink some nutri-drench that first evening but it was almost 24 hours before she started back eating. I know this has been a terrible couple weeks with fellow members loosing their beloved feathered friends. I am on borrowed time with Daisy, her tumor has stopped growing, but I have to believe that it was a cause of her heat stress. She cannot stay inside all the time, separation from her flock visibly stresses her out and it is almost the middle of August. I know there will be way more hot and humid days to come.

This was Daisy the next day after I brought her in.
View attachment 3220953View attachment 3220954
And here she is now. Notice she has her spunk back and vigorously eating her share of the bun treat and even bullied Blueberry for a second.
So wonderful to see your group again. ❤️. I'm glad Daisy is doing well.

Last edited:
That is their dust bath area....was grass and they have torn it up (in the yard, mind you, not their run!). The dirt is very soft and silty...almost silky feeling, not gritty like sand. They love that spot! Notice the dirt on her? She stopped flinging the dirt and was eyeing me when I approached with the camera, but she still looked so relaxed I couldn't resist taking the pic.
It is a great picture. The dirt looks so awesome there that I would like to roll around.

Darn chooks! They kicked Dakota out of the coop again. I heard a ruckus and saw her running away out of the coop, to the yard. I had to go catch her, and bring the scared little hen inside with me. :th:barnie
And the situation was violent, with Dakota being ganged up on. She’s okay now, just scared. I just can’t understand why this happens. They were getting along together all last night and today. :idunno

Darn chooks! They kicked Dakota out of the coop again. I heard a ruckus and saw her running away out of the coop, to the yard. I had to go catch her, and bring the scared little hen inside with me. :th:barnie
Awww poor wee gal, well better she is with you anyways.

It was glorious here a couple nights ago rising behind the teees all huge and orange, and I didn’t have my camera with me darn it!
It's beautiful out there with the moon, vary bright too. Almost tempted to go out but it's freezing ! Always cold Ang clear when there is a full moon!

So bright even the hen house is bright !
Barn_live_1660360249653.jpg

I will write a tribute later when I can absorb everything that has happened today.
In short. Minnie is gone to join her sister. There are no more Roadrunners at the Chicken Palace.
Maggie laid a lash egg - so I think we can be confident that the one that was in the nest box a week or so ago was not from Dotty but from Maggie as I suspected. It is a year and 11 months since she laid lash eggs before so she has been on borrowed time for quite a while. But I love her borrowed time and the thought that it might end soon is deeply depressing to me. I will probably give her antibiotics, I think @BY Bob would agree.
And Diana reminded me of her mortality by laying yet another no-shell egg.
Altogether not a great day for chickens at the Chicken Palace. I am down to 4 chickens and have more dead chickens than alive chickens which I don't think is what chicken-math normally means.
I'm so sorry to hear about Minnie :hugs:hugs:hugs

Back
Top Bottom