I'm not surprised. He's a polish. That's how they sleep. I'm so glad he found a roosting spot with the ladies. Who is that sleeping next to him?
Bob - he can fly like crazy! He flew from the window, and out through the hen house doorway, he had to twist right, then left to not crash into the wall!

I have the same chicken as your profile picture has. I have four chickens (3 with creative names and one with a normal name). Having chickens gave me inspiration to start my own business someday, building chicken coops and making medication.
I wished you lived near me. You would certainly have business building extensions and runs for me in the coming years 😉

Good to meet you here

Last edited:
I have a sick chicken (my poor Light :-( )

I am going to give her a warm epsom salt bath. Do you know how deep the water needs to be? Just surpassing her vent?

I also posted a thread on the emergency forum: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/my-chicken-is-having-egg-bound-or-constipated.1543528/

Thanks!
Oh I am sorry to hear that. Hopefully some more experienced folk will respond to your thread in the emergency forum.
I have only done it once - the idea is to get their undercarriage in the warm water - so that sort of depth. Everyone says, and my experience too is that they rather like it and relax.
Good luck and I hope it works - the idea is to help her relax so do it somewhere familiar if you can. Also, give her some calcium - again most people on here say calcium citrate is absorbed faster than calcium carbonate, but either will do. I just use human pills from the pharmacy.

Awww. Thanks. I am OK. You know, one foot in front of the other and carry on.
Actually my feet are propped up on a rubber feed bowl while I enjoy the gloriously cool sunny day in the chicken field. Canadian air - and it is lovely.
I suppose I should go get something done but it is just soooo lovely here and Lulu has been sitting with me having a snooze.
That's wonderful I'm so pleased you are okay. You did everything possible ❤

Oh I am sorry to hear that. Hopefully some more experienced folk will respond to your thread in the emergency forum.
I have only done it once - the idea is to get their undercarriage in the warm water - so that sort of depth. Everyone says, and my experience too is that they rather like it and relax.
Good luck and I hope it works - the idea is to help her relax so do it somewhere familiar if you can. Also, give her some calcium - again most people on here say calcium citrate is absorbed faster than calcium carbonate, but either will do. I just use human pills from the pharmacy.
Thank you! We just did this and she seems really like it, and is now sitting in the water.

Back
Top Bottom