Today has been eventful as far as chicken keeping goes...

Light is not the full herself, but we really don't know what's wrong with her. She hasn't been very interested in food, is drinking some, not active since yesterday afternoon. My best guess is some kind of slow moving crop. We massaged her crop a bit and she is a little better compared to 24 hours ago. Thanks again to RC for her advice on sour crop.

Poor Light
IMG_20220814_080904.jpg

Then some vicious chicken bullying happened today. It started this morning when ALL the chickens (except for Light who is inside) gang up on Inky, like they all piled up on her and tried to kill her. Inky eventually got out and went inside the coop. We thought this was just one incident, but this afternoon when I gave them their dinner, Inky came out of the coop and they ALL went for her again. This time I noticed there is blood on her neck, and even I had a HARD time shielding Inky from the gang. They were ruthless.

So Inky is now inside the house with veterycin applied to her... I've never seen or heard chickens being soooo bad. The gang likes to chase Light but only chase. Inky is the only gray hen we have and she is always kinda a loner+no touch chicken, but they all got along fine until this morning. Why? What happened? Inky was COMPLETELY TRAUMATIZED after the afternoon attack. I don't know what to do...

No picture of ruthless killing, but I suppose I will post some pics of Ginger, the head of bully. The other day she was dragging this straw for a long time...
gingerstraw10811.jpg
gingerstraw20811.jpg
gingerstraw30811.jpg

Everyone keep one of my red girls in your thoughts. I'm in full blown emergency mode right now with her. The people that are renting the house down at the barn got a new pup 2 months ago. They have kept her tied up until this evening. She got ahold of one of my girls. She is alive, but is in obvious shock and has a dime size puncture hole on her back, it does not look too deep though. Mom is working with the hen, I'm going out to do a head count on everyone else, and dad is on his way to have a not so nice talk with her owner. I'm ready to shoot the dog.
I blame the owner not the dog. Have had a whole load of problem with people letting their dogs run free and chasing the horses.

Now I have the chickies and I even more worried!

If I had to clobber someone it would be the owner not the dog - darn people 😡 who don’t take responsibility for their rotten kids and dogs.

Anyways I hope the hen is ok, poor we gal, how traumatic 😥😥😥 please keep us updated 😢

Lulu’s First Egg!
Today Lulu laid her first egg. It is pale blue and totally perfect.
It is also very tiny! It weighs 28.7g (about an ounce). The last egg laid in the Chicken Palace (Dotty) was just over double the size.
The whole event was quite sweet. She took the best part of two hours selecting which nest box to use. She went in and out of the upper and lower levels with Bernadette in tow.
When she eventually settled on the best spot Bernadette stood outside shouting the whole time!
I am a little sad she isn’t my baby any more, but still very proud of her tiny egg. Maybe I will have a miniature egg sandwich for lunch today.
Congratulations Lulu.
View attachment 3222731
Such perfect pretty egg. Congratulations to you too RC!

I am both livid and heartbroken, Ezzie is also missing and I found some of his feathers. I've searched everywhere and have not found a body. I'm praying he is hiding and I will find him in the morning. Everyone else is accounted for but visibly shook up. Gloria's "the dog's" owners are not home right now. Gloria tried to come back in the yard and she got a warning shot fired at her, it will be her only one I'm sorry. She sets another foot in it and it is over. We will be civil as soon as we can talk to her owner, but if it is confirmed I've lost Ezzie, and I end up loosing my other girl due to shock I will insist I be compensated for them. The injured red girl is the one that is named Granny and the friendliest of the 3. We have got some homemade sugar water down her, covered her wound with stuff we put on the horses if they cut themselves, I cannot remember the name right now. Mom also dissolved a little bit of a baby asprin and got it down her for pain control. She is currently wrapped up in a towel in a tote covered over with the lights off. I think she may be ok if she can recover from the shock.

I am both livid and heartbroken, Ezzie is also missing and I found some of his feathers. I've searched everywhere and have not found a body. I'm praying he is hiding and I will find him in the morning. Everyone else is accounted for but visibly shook up. Gloria's "the dog's" owners are not home right now. Gloria tried to come back in the yard and she got a warning shot fired at her, it will be her only one I'm sorry. She sets another foot in it and it is over. We will be civil as soon as we can talk to her owner, but if it is confirmed I've lost Ezzie, and I end up loosing my other girl due to shock I will insist I be compensated for them. The injured red girl is the one that is named Granny and the friendliest of the 3. We have got some homemade sugar water down her, covered her wound with stuff we put on the horses if they cut themselves, I cannot remember the name right now. Mom also dissolved a little bit of a baby asprin and got it down her for pain control. She is currently wrapped up in a towel in a tote covered over with the lights off. I think she may be ok if she can recover from the shock.
Oh no. Pray that you will find Ezzie tomorrow morning. 🙏

Back
Top Bottom