A few more hellish days then it looks like some relief is coming our way.

Screenshot_20220815-111012_Chrome.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220815-110956_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220815-110956_Chrome.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 2
🥰 for the photos

😢 for the billed chicken.

You do know that separating her from the others will only intensify the problem for her right? It will wind up like an integration when you put her back with the rest.
Thanks Bob. Unfortunately we are fully aware of that. I think we have no choice but to separate her for now, or else she'd be pecked to death. The girls had already tasted her blood ☹️ . If not dead, she'd be sitting in the corner of coop (no food or water in there) and be terrified all day.

As mentioned, she has always been lonely. She doesn't care for humans or fellow chickens... I know chickens are social animals but it's believable sometimes there is a weirdo. She is really happy and content on her own.

We very likely will rehome her as a long term plan.

The advice I have read is to separate the chief bully so she has to reintegrate.
You know we really should do that... But they are in such harmony without Inky. On one hand, I felt terrible about the whole situation but on another hand, they are just being chickens. We project human emotions on them but perhaps it is not the best to punish them.

A year ago Light was a bully (hard to believe that now because she has become the most gentle lady) and would not let Wendy eat. Husband locked her out at dinner time. We now regret our actions because that was normal pecking order behavior.

I only interfered this time because Inky was about to be badly injured. I blame myself. I think it is ultimately human's fault because I am not able to provide. Could have made their run bigger and free range longer.

Good news is that I am almost done with fencing so that they can free range the WHOLE backyard (pretty good size).

Thanks Bob. Unfortunately we are fully aware of that. I think we have no choice but to separate her for now, or else she'd be pecked to death. The girls had already tasted her blood ☹️ . If not dead, she'd be sitting in the corner of coop (no food or water in there) and be terrified all day.

As mentioned, she has always been lonely. She doesn't care for humans or fellow chickens... I know chickens are social animals but it's believable sometimes there is a weirdo. She is really happy and content on her own.

We very likely will rehome her as a long term plan.
This feels like it may be for the best. It's very sad though. Many chickens can be happy alone. I have seen it first hand. But it is no good for them to be ganged up on. I'm glad you are thinking in her best interests.

I was glad to here that Light had improved as well. Good news.

You know we really should do that... But they are in such harmony without Inky. On one hand, I felt terrible about the whole situation but on another hand, they are just being chickens. We project human emotions on them but perhaps it is not the best to punish them.

A year ago Light was a bully (hard to believe that now because she has become the most gentle lady) and would not let Wendy eat. Husband locked her out at dinner time. We now regret our actions because that was normal pecking order behavior.

I only interfered this time because Inky was about to be badly injured. I blame myself. I think it is ultimately human's fault because I am not able to provide. Could have made their run bigger and free range longer.

Good news is that I am almost done with fencing so that they can free range the WHOLE backyard (pretty good size).
More space solves a lot of chicken issues.

I got the results of Minnie's swab back and she was negative for Marek's and for ILT (the virus Bella had).
Frankly both results surprise me for various reasons.
Knowing would of course not bring the lovely Minnie back to me, but it would feel good to know.
I guess the negative for Marek's is a good thing for the flock as a whole although I did once do an environmental test on the Chicken Palace which detected Marek's so I think I need to continue to assume I have a Marek's positive flock.

Back
Top Bottom